Fly Tying
chrisfish

FYI llamma or alpaca hair

I just thought i'd share this with you all. I used some black llama fur for dubbing and it was my favorite dubbing to date. it has all the properties of wool, but it was naturaly black. realy black. so i clipped some red/rust, white, and blond and they were also just as bright after being dubbed. It seems to me like most other dubbings ive tried loose their color properties when dubbed on and spun. I mean they just never look as bright or dark or shinny as they did prior to dubbing. they change. but the llama was sweet. it looked the same after dubbing as befor. One source (since most of us dont have llamas) is a nice angora or alpaca sweater. Just dont let your wife catch ya. Tell her it was always a short sleeve sweater.

you know, I have a couple of llamas. If you'd like some more, let me know. Next time we cut hair, I just might be able to save you some. And, I agree, it makes for great dubbin. And, it's just so darned soft! :thumbup:

:bugeyes: theres a llama farm on the other side of town... looks like it will be another mission requiring black clothing at hte dead of night... or i could just go up to the door and ask for some <_<

Chrisfish,

Yes that fish is for real. I don't know where it was caught, but one of my friends sent that pic to me in an email. Thought it looked just too cool, so I had to use it. By the way, how on god's green earth do I "quote someone on here?

A.S.

good luck DaUP. Maybe a diversion of some sort will help.

thanks for the offer nebraska, but i can get it pretty easily also. but if your freind knows where we can catch more of those im in.

My wife owns a yarn shop -- wonder if she'd noticed if I clipped a few feet off the skeins of llama and alpaca yard?

Bill

. or i could just go up to the door and ask for some <_<

theres an alpaca farm near me and I did this and it worked all they asked for was a small donation.So far I've got some brown and white.

Good Day,

Last year at a fly tying show I was given a big hunk of drak brown alpaca. It makes great spun wool heads too!

Steelie

you know, I have a couple of llamas. If you'd like some more, let me know. Next time we cut hair, I just might be able to save you some. And, I agree, it makes for great dubbin. And, it's just so darned soft! :thumbup:

You just hit the quote button until there is a minus sign and then hit reply button and post. BTW is that offer for llama hair open for anyone? I wouldn't mind have a clump. I can pm you my address if your answer is yes.

Randy

I live 10 minutes away from the largest alpaca farm in north America.

My Wife's Step-Mom works there.

I walked into the wool room and my jaw dropped. I walked out with a free, gallon zip-lock bag stuffed full with black, white, brown, tan, etc...

I like it so far, ive only tied a few flies with it.

Joe

I live 10 minutes away from the largest alpaca farm in north America.

My Wife's Step-Mom works there.

I walked into the wool room and my jaw dropped. I walked out with a free, gallon zip-lock bag stuffed full with black, white, brown, tan, etc...

I like it so far, ive only tied a few flies with it.

Joe

Gotta love free quality materials.

Randy

You just hit the quote button until there is a minus sign and then hit reply button and post. BTW is that offer for llama hair open for anyone? I wouldn't mind have a clump. I can pm you my address if your answer is yes.

Randy

Sure. I'd be more than happy to. I'll be home in about two weeks to do a little fall cutting. It's not typical to cut hair in the fall, we just like to have them look nice for the holidays. :D