Fly Tying
kerusso

Bulk Hooks

I wanted to ask everyone if they have a source for buying hooks in bulk. Tying is a hobby for me as well as an avenue to keep my fly boxes stocked. I share alot of my flies with people I meet on the stream and also with friends that I go fishing with. I'm also thinking in the future about starting some classes for beginners. I'd like to know where I can buy some chemically sharpened Japanese hooks at a reasonable price. I have used in the past the following hooks: Eagle Claw, Mustad, Dairiki, Daiichi, Tiemco, and Kobe. I have never had a hook break while fishing regardless of what hook I was using. I've had different ones break in the vise but I attribute that my recklessness. So, do any of you have an sources you would like to share? I'm looking for the following: dry: sz.16-20, nymph: sz. 16-18, scud: sz.20-24. In my mind I'm thinking these hooks can be acquired for somewhere between $45-$65 per thousand, depending on style. I know the premium hooks (some mentioned above) will not be available at these prices, but for the past 15 months I've been using a hook that I'm happy with and it's a "no name" hook. I just can't get these hooks at a good price in bulk. Thanks, I appreciate your advice.

kerusso: Wish I had a low-priced source for you, but I don't. Hope you can find your hooks at a price you like!

Bill

It is my understanding, (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), that Targus, Kobe, etc. are actually Tiemco hooks sold under different names. You can get these at many locations in the $7.00 - $9.00 per 100 range.

Sorry, I don't know of any discount outlets for 1000 packs.

you might want to take a look at Hagens i know they sell hooks by the 1000. I believe for the Mustad 3399 its somewhere around $24 for 1000 they carry mostly non-fly fishing hooks but they have a few fly-tying styles too

a beginners class that starts them tying on a size 24???

I have a hard enough time stopping them from breaking the thread on the points of size 8 hooks. Hook and Hackle with make you a deal when you're buying hooks in that quantity

longears,

I should have clarified .... the beginners would not be starting out with sz.24's. What I had in mind were wooly buggers (sz. 6 or 8), GRHE (14 or 16) PT (14 or 16), and some other basic patterns that aren't too techinical or difficult. LOL, if I'd put a sz.24 hook in the vise the first time I attempted to tie something I would have given up. The smaller hooks would be used for future thread midges.

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/

Here you go guys,hope this is what you are looking for.I buy my hooks here all the time top quality Kamasan all my fishing buddies use these type of hooks.

They are the top selling hooks on this side of the world you can buy them in most tackle shops,they come in a small box quantity 25 but they are double the price.

I reckon that they will cost you $71.00 per thousand,if a couples of guys get together and place an order it will keep the cost of shipping to a minimum.

Hope this of help.

tight lines

Mike :yahoo:

Thanks for your input everyone. I ordered some today at a price I thought was great. When I get the hooks and catch a few fish I'll let you know what they are and where I got them. I also got them in the price range I was seeking. Thanks again.

There's a seller on Ebay called surpluswilly, he also has an ebay store called Togens Fly Shop. He sells a store brand hook out of both.

I was skeptical when I first saw them and asked what brand they were and he told me that under his contract he couldn't say but he did send me some to try. Nice sharp hooks and seem very strong.

He also has some bulk pricing where you can buy 500 to 10,000 hooks in lots of 100 each all different kinds.

Here's a link to his ebay store Togens Fly Shop

Fatman

Hagensfish.com Dai-Riki starting at about $56.00/1000.

They are at the end of the cataloge. In the fly tying materials section.

Rick

anyone notice this post is almost 9 years old? The OP was last active on 08 December of 2011... hope he found his source for hooks.