Fly Tying

Portable tying bench

I've been thinking of how to improve on portable benches I've owned in the past. After looking around I decided the only way to get what I wanted was to build my own. The layout was the most important thing to me, I was tired of having to reach around my vise to get to my tools so I put them all on the right. I really like having my hackle pliers right by my hand so I can easily grab them when needed. I really like being able to grab materials out of my storage area, place them on my bench top. put the bench on my work desk and tie in minutes, it gets put away just as fast. The material I am using for the bottom is great stuff, I have intentionally spilled numnerous types of head cement on it and it wipes right off. I'm going to build these out of beautiful woods such as figured maple, Red Oak, Black Walnut, Paduk etc. Since I already built all of the templates and jigs to make these I figured I'd start selling them. I'm also going to offer to totally customize the layout to the individual tyer, as everyone has different needs.

These are not for sale yet , right now I am just looking for feedback on the design and more importantly on the existing market for high quality items such as these in our present economy? If there is sufficient demand I'll clear this with Will and work out donations to the site on a per unit basis.

Thank you for any feedback as I know many of you and value your opinions, So what do you think?

Eric

IPB Image

IPB Image

Nice, very nice,

I have my own room and desk that is set up all the time. But once in a while it would be nice to take a portable bench with me to the family room and sit in the easy chair and tie.

I like the storage area on the left hand side. Most portable fly stages do not have material storage except for thread and a few small round containers.

Hard to tell from the photos, but do you have enough hand and arm room on the right side of the vise? It just looks like I would smack the back of hand against the tool caddy (but then again, I walk into walls).

Conehead

PS: This is the first portable tying bench I liked, you got a winner.

It looks to be laid out very nicely with nice wood work.

Rather than limiting wood types you might want to consider offering it in standard wood types and exotic wood types.

they look great and well thought out as far as design and functionability.'

Here is one thing to consider.......there are very few portable benches out there with a cover/method of carrying them.......something to think about.......what makes a portable bench "portable"?

again the design and quality are excellent!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for the kind words and helpful ideas so far! I hope the attached picture will help me answer a couple of your questions. Vern-O, the tool holder actually extends out beyond the side of the bench allowing me to grip the edge, I the simply grab the edge by the storage bin and lift it up that way. I could easily cut a small handle into the storage end if desired. I use a piece of an old table cloth as a dust cover for storage. Bye the way I love your fly display, excellent work!

Crotalus- My base unit will be Red Oak sides, white or Oak ply bottom(buyers choice), and Black Walnut accent pieces. The exotics will be an extra option, as I can make these in any desired woods or configurations. For those that wish a truly custom bench I'm thinking about mailing them a template of my base design and then letting make whatever changes they wish.

Conehead- There actually is more room on this bench than on any commercialy made bench I have ever owned. The vise block actually sits slightly higher and in front of the tool holder . As I hope you can see in the photo there is lots of room to work.

Well thanks alot everyone for all of the great feedback, I like that handle idea. For anyone attending the fly tying show in Mason, MI this Saturday I'll be there. I don't have a table or anything but some of my friends requested that I bring a couple of these along so they can see them up close. If you'd like to take a look at one, or not please say hi, I'd love to meet more folks from the site , I'll be wearing a green ball cap that says Sawcat-Eric on the back.

IPB Image

1. what is the length and width dimensions?

2. do you have to overhang the vise edge over the table edge for the c-clamp to clear? its not clear in the first photo.

3. can the tool bar on the right side be omitted when ordering as well as the 3 depressions under the vise head? I'm right handed and would be reaching to my right for materials etc.

Hi Flytire, Thanks for the interest. I'll answer your questions in order;

1) The dimensions are as follows; width is 24" depth is 19" and the height of the vise block above the table is 4".

2) The block is 3/4" thick so the bottom of the block is 3 1/4" above the table. I have five vises and all but one fit nicely without having to "hang over the edge of the table" When I designed the bench I made it to fit my Renzetti Traveler, when I got around to tying on it I noticed that the knurled nut on my Dyna-King barracuda Jr. Trekker was hitting the table top. A quick comparison showed that the c-clamp on the Renzetti and the DK were almost identical except that on the Renzetti the c-clamp did not close completely. When the bolt bottoms out on the Renzetti the clamp is still open 1/2", this allows the necessary clearance. So I backed the nut off of the bolt on my DK, zipped off a half an inch with my dremel tool and replaced the knurled nut and now all of my vises work fine. I knew I'd never clamp my vise to anything that was only 1/2" thick so I wasn't worried about it , but I can easily raise the vise block to accomodate any height requirements you may have. The vise in the picture is my Dyna-king with the trimmed bolt sitting flat on my pool table.

3) That's exactly why I started building these, to get exactly what "I" wanted. I also realize that not everyone is going to want exactly what I did. I am offering this same service to you, that's really what I am selling, not just another fly tying bench but the perfect bench for you. The benches you see are just a place to start, I'll gladly work with you to make one of your own. That's the whole point of a custom built bench!

So the short answer is yes, I can and will make any modifications you desire, Thanks again and in case you wish to discuss this further I'm going to PM you with my number. Eric

Thank You Mike I appreciate the kind words, how's the weather up your way? This storm has to be something roaring across Huron right at ya, Hold on Tight!

you don't have them on the trading floor yet, how much are you going to be charging? Assume its a duplicate of what you've alredy done with no mods.

Hi there Tblazer,

I posted it today at 1:00 pm, I noticed that when I hit submit it said it had to be reviewed by a moderator before it was posted. I guess they still haven't gotten around to it yet. Will asked me to limit selling items to the trading floor so that's what I'm going to do. I'll shoot you a PM with my number, feel free to call me with any questions, Thanks Eric