Fly Tying

Todd (AlG) and I spent about 5 hours tying here today getting ready for a trip next week. Todd brought over some braided cord which I have never used before that he uses on his nymphs and I liked the way the stuff moved. So I slid a needle through it so I could steady it enough to tie some biots on the end for a stone tail. I kinda like the way it will move in the water (as you can see from the 2nd pic) And hopefully some steelies next week will agree with me :D

Thanks for the braid Todd ;)

IPB Image

IPB Image

Steve

Very nice SD, if you find out where to get that stuff online let me know :headbang:

Throw some partridge or runner leg material on there for legs. Stone nymphs legs go berzerk when they're drifting off bottom

I use to do legs of hackle on them Alex, but I stopped doing them one year about 5 years back to see if it made a difference with the fish and it didnt, so I dont bother with the legs anymore ;)

The swimming tail like this probably wont make a hill of beans difference in hook ups ethier...but I just thought I'd try one to see how it looked for the "cool factor" :lol:

Yeah theres times when movement doesn't make a difference, but it's those times when it does that make it pay off. Either way thats a great stone nymph

I wanna know where I can get some of that material you used for the tail I like the look of it and would love to get some I can think of only a hundred thousand different uses for it. Very nice tie looks very yummy and I hope the fish think so as well. :thumbup:

Steve

Yup.....That looks familiar B)

No prob buddy and i did get it from Hank's, it's around $2 bucks for a coil of it.

How many of them did you tie up so far....24 maybe 36 of them??? :coffee: :whistle:

Steve I like this fly!! Is there a way that you can tie the biots that cause the cord to wiggle??? Just a thought. as far as legs go on a stone I prefer to just tease the dubbing. I also love the big daddy dubbing from the dungeon!!!

Is there a way that you can tie the biots that cause the cord to wiggle???

Yeah, just the cord itself actually moves in the current like a thrashing stone tail would. By tying the biots on the end will cause it to wiggle, but since yesterday (Yeah i tied a few like this too :whistle: ) i've tried it in the tub and it doesn't lift as much as the ones i did, however it does give it one hell of an erratic action. Great thinkin Steve! :headbang:

I love the way that tail moves! The extended body is not something i have seen on a nymph and it is a great idea!!! thanks