Fly Tying
dsaavedra

wood duck hackle

ok. ive heard and seen that wood duck flank makes a great wet hackle. i tried doing this, but it wont work. how do i use this stuff as hackle?

dsaavedra - It depends on what you are trying to do. When I tye a collar of woodduck, I use the following method:

I tie in the woodduck feather (point first) at the base of what will later be the head of the fly. I then clip the center stem in my hackle pliers and fold the fibers back (wet fly collar style) and wrap it around the hook two times (that tends to be about all you can get out of the feather). I then wrap the thread back over the base of the fibers while holding them back with my thumb and two fingers.

If you do a search on the fly pattern database for a pattern called a "golden hilton", you will see what I am describing above. You may also want to run a general search on "folding hackle" to see how it is done.

Hope this helps.

Hi Riverfloat,

Great sequence. Your photo's will really help those needing the information. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

YES... as a new tyer, the pictures are great. I have some wood duck flank that just wasn't doing as I wished it would. Now I can try this at home later today or tomorrow!

thanks alot everyone. i was trying to tie in in at the base :blink: :dunno: :huh:. thats why it kept messing up, cuz its thick at the base.