Fly Tying
vtflyhack

crease flies

I made up some crease flies the other day. I tried them out in my testing facility(tub) are they suppose to be on their side or bend down :dunno: . When I pulled them the just sat on there side. I think my testing area might be to small????

vtflyhack

I havent tried any yet, but would imagine that they would float in an upright position due to the shape. Then again, it's supposed to represent a small baitfish. Perhaps it looks different if stripped in during the retrieve? :dunno:

I believe they were originally designed to float on their sides to imitate an injured bait fish. You have the play with it a bit. I often use a heavier hook since I like mine to float hook down, or you can add a bit of lead to the bottom of the hook shank.

I believe they are susposed to sit point down.

Most of mine don't.

When I actually fish them on a sinking line I find they ride true because the foam pulls them up against the line.

Many crease flies float on their sides until retrieved. Then they often fall back over on their sides when paused.

Ever see a really badly injured baitfish?? That's usually how they struggle in a stream. It's one of the reason crease flies are so effective...they really mimic the action of an injured baitfish.

Mark Delaney

All of mine flip on their side. The fish don't seem to mind. I lost a huge snook on one last month ;)

Crease flies were designed to work with a sinking line down deep.they were not designed to act as a popper.lead core or heavy lines and 3 to 5 foot leader to get down to albies was the intent..they push water and when the retrieve is stopped they are supposed to float up like a baitfish..

Could you give me your opinions on the one in my avatar????????

I tied it for snook & baby tarpon for the mangrove lagoons around Cancun.

looks like the maribou is a little slim and might not show in the salt. try tying with something a little stiffer, seems to act as a rudder and help in the balance...I like fish hair on most of mine for salt..

vtflyhack:

I've just started tying crease flies this winter and haven't had a chance to fish them -- mine float on their sides in the sink, too. I'd assumed that they were created as poppers, and am glad to get set straight on that. I'm nonetheless looking forward to trying them on top for stripers in low light on a floating line, as well as down deep with a high density head.

Zarabanda Fly:

I like the pattern on the body of the fly on your avatar, and the fact that you've left a lot of gape for hooking. If you review the forum thread for nomad's crease fly swap that ended on 1/15/07, you'll see some beautiful yellow perch bodies made by Faster Fish.

Bill

Tied a few for the farm pond. They seem to lay over on a pause for me. As others observed the fish seem to fancy it. Got some nice bass on em.

Brad B)

Hey the couple I made I stuffed some Stainless Steel shot into the belly. I am going to see what happens. I will post some pics later.

vtflyhack

post-4224-1170023612_thumb.jpghere are some pics. vtflyhack

vtflyhack: If you've tank-tested them, did the addition of shot put them in an upright position?

Bill