Fly Tying
critter

Speed

I consider myself an average tier, can tie pretty much any fly I set my mind to without much difficulty and pretty consistent from fly to fly. I have also taught many beginners the basics to get them going. My issue is how can I increase my speed of tying a fly. Cause seriously, I know I should be tying at a faster rate. Any tips out there to get over this frustration/annoyance?

-Critter

Good Day,

You may find some tips in A.K. Best's Production Fly Tying.

For me it is about pre-prep and organization. If I know I am going to tie a few dozen of a pattern I lay out the materials in the state they are needed to be in when tied. For example, pulling the required number of biots needed off the stem prior to tying. Measuring and plucking needed hackle. Etc.

Also, if you have not already, learn to tie with scissors in your hand.

Steelie

Critter, my question for you would be: if you enjoy fly tying, why do you want to tie faster? If you just want to tie faster, try tying 5 dozen of one pattern. The last dozen should be alot faster than the first. Repetition is where speed is gained. After so many dozen or so, you no longer have to stop and think about proportions or where on the hook a particular material is tied in at. It is all automatic so to speak.

The never lying down the scissors is a must also.

I have tied commercially for over 20 years. After a couple of years off, I am now trying to slow down and enjoy each fly and each step. Enough of the production line tying for me. I want to go back to the days when I had fun tying. I know the fun was learning and experimenting, trying and playing with new materials, the exploration part. Well, I can't go back that far anymore, but not having to tie so fast and thinking about each fly I am tying and almost talking to it, is satisfying me at the moment.

DeerhairTom

between those two posts, I think they covered it. practice, practice, practice. And lay out your materials so they're at your fingertips so to speak. If you know where things are at, and you can get them quickly you can increase your speed drasticly.

I am also a believer in A.K. Best's book Production Fly Tying. I am also a big fan of Tom Cutmore's website. Tom has many tips on his site that apply to production tying.

http://www.albertabowriver.com/fly_tying_tips_and_tricks.htm

To gain speed, I have incorporated many tips from these 2 sources. Also, you can't beat the speed of a norvise.

Thanks

Hi there,

Just a thought, but do use the tools that you are happiest/most comftable with - especially scissors, which as everybody else says and (I do) is to never put them down. What speed do you want to tie at ? There are women in Africa who tie 300+ a day. Davy Wooton ties, or at least used to a Whichams fancy (Winged) in 45secs. I've done the same but not for sustained periods i.e. hours on end. Repetition is the spice of life, so a little time and motion study can help i.e. what you need and what you don't.

John

Thanks for the tips guys, I wasn't looking to do 300 flies a day. I think the biggest help is going to have the materials pre-setup instead of grabbing 4 barbs at a time from a pheasant tail for each fly, or picking out that right soft hackle feather between each fly of of a partridge skin. or setting out the number of hooks I want on the side instead of picking up my hook organizer each time. I love the scissors idea, but have issues with that...depending on what I am doing determines which hand I do something with. For instance I write and eat left-handed, yet I tie, shoot, cut things with scissors with my right hand. This will be a difficult feat to learn.

I love the scissors idea, but have issues with that...depending on what I am doing determines which hand I do something with. For instance I write and eat left-handed, yet I tie, shoot, cut things with scissors with my right hand. This will be a difficult feat to learn.

You could pull an Edward Scissorhands.... a pair of scissors for each hand. :D

Hey critter. Tying in steps will also increase the speed. When I sit down to tie craws I tie on the lead eyes and mono eyes on all of my hooks first glue them and set them aside. Also like steele said prep is a must. Put beads on all of your hooks ect. I also use a magnet to store my hooks after I count them and a magnet to catch my flies after I tie them. Most of my flies I just release form the jaws and let fall. I have a magnet on my base that catches them. one tool that I have just picked up that I love is the rotary hackle pliar that sucker is fast!!!!

Ribs,

That's a good site, thanks!

Al has an article in this month's Fly TyerIPB ImageFly Tyer Magazine

: First Wraps: Tying for Dollars Al and Gretchen Beatty There are some hints in there on sppeding your production.

I suppose (hope, suspect) everyone here subscribes to this great publication.

Ray

Crittur,There's some great advice there;

to speed up laying in wraps of thread, make sure to keep the thread at a minimum short length, like an inch. The bobbin will then whizz around the shank.Your hand has less far to travel and the wraps are constant. This means much less effort in your arm too. The shorter the radius of the circle, the less your arm weighs. If you can get the wraps reduced to wrist action only, then you can tie really fast

Works for me,

To keep wraps tightly packed together for an underbody, keep the stray end of the thread tight in your left hand as you wrap back with the right most of the way back on the body, so you gat fast tight wraps

Roy