Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyDology

Tellico Nymph

I recently tied some of these for a swap. I like the look of them and will be using them here even though they were developed in Tennesee. I like what you have turned out here. Have you used it much? :)

I am in a transition lately. I have been bombarded by so many "new" flies that I am going to use old classics instead this year, a return to roots if you will, I tied my first Tellico when I was 12.

Small yellow soft hackles work well on so many western rivers that I am going to try these old Tennessee flies in Oregon and Montana and see what happens this year, they look like they would pass as an emerging caddis pupa.

This is one of my favorite nymph patterns! There was a handful of these in my grandfathers fly box and I just had to add some to mine. I really like the way you have tied this one. It's got a very nice soft hackle fly profile to it. Very nice!

Trout and a variety of other fish here in the north east love these :) I really like this rendition - great tie!

I've seen these tied as done and pictured above and also, with the shellback pulled over the hackle collar so that the fibers only come off the sides and bottom. I've always tied them as in this post but I wonder how the original was tied.

Kirk