Fly Tying
dsaavedra

Fish in the Pond!!!

well ya's know about that pond i found. well i really dont think there were any fish in it. if there were fish then thats great! but now i KNOW there are fish in it......i put 42 bluegills ranging from about 3" to 7" in there. im gonna go down next weekend after the fish have chilled out and become accustomed to theyre new habitat and fish it!!!!! i cant wait!

Nice, sounds pretty fun! Just wondering, where did you get the fish from? Good luck catching them!

Funny I put 42 pike in there last week!!! good luck and keep its location to you self..... Just tell your friends it is down in Alexandria VA that will keep them away!!!

cool dsaavedra

u might want to put some bass in there in a couple weeks with them to keep the population down

also throw some catfish or bul heads in there to eat all the dead and decaying stuff

how did u transport the gills?

I think you need to write the story about this when you are done. It has alot of potential for a good read. I continue to follow the saga. :)

:) :) :) :) :)

my friend and i caught alot of gills at a park where catching gills is as simple as crammin some bread on a hook dropping it in, wait 3 secodns, lifting it out, and taking off the fish. so we caught our limit in well under an hour. then we put them in a cooler w/ water and a super crappy aerator....it was cheap and i thought i got a good deal... :ripped: then we took them home in the cooler, took off the aerator, strapped it to the front of the ATV, and drove on down to the pond. when we first put them in there...they all just sat where we put them. we had to grab them to get them to swim off. most darted for the nearest cover (a huge mass of overlaying breyers and treelimbs) and a few went in the grass and weeds. a couple just swam straight out. they were all doin OK!!!

Im not sure where i can get my hands on a good supply of medium sized largemouth, but what ill do is whenever i catch some largemouth, ill keep them and put them in there. im gonna go fishin down there prolly next weekend. let ya'll know if they are biting! :yahoo:

Hey, that's awesome!!

You might have yourself a real nice gil factory soon enough! I know that me and my boy had no trouble six to ten inch bass last summer. You'll find 'em!

Definitely keep us posted.

well guys the saga continues!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

went down there w/ travis (my friend w/ the ATV) and we caught three fish! he caught one that was proly 6", then he handed me the rod and i pulled in a freaking big gill! it was about 7-8" the spot on its gill was the size of a nickel!!!!! i handed him the rod back and he pulled in one that was probly 5".

on his second fish it got hooked far down (not quite to the gills but close) but it wasnt in very deep. we didnt even think about carrying supplies (all we had was a rod, reel, line, bobber which we didnt use, and a hook) so no pliers. we ended up taking a very thin stick and placed it on the bend of the hook and pushed and it came out. lucky us and lucky for the fish! it swam off like normal. seems everytime we go down there something interesting always happens.

more to come! im hoping to take my fly rod down there w/ mosquitoes tomorrow after school. i saw some gills feeding on mosquitoes today.

yeah. i went down there again today w/ my bread ball fly and caught 7 bluegills within 10 minutes. rmember that big one i described a few posts ago? well i caught him again. i remember the huge gill spot and specifically i remember a widened oval shaped hole in the left side of his lip where i caught him yesterday, but i hooked him on the right side today, but i saw the hole on the left :lol: i caught the 7 on the breadball fly adn then two on grubs that we dug up, and my friend caught 4 or 5 on real bread and grubs.

i think those fish have grown since we put them in because they all look a bit bigger than before! good signs! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

that's great! this year or next year if you see them spawning, remember to start taking out a bunch of little ones as you catch them- bluegills (sunfish in general) can overpopulate any mudpuddle in a season, and get stunted. There are 5 acre ponds and larger around here where there's nothing over about 4 inches, but billions of them. I'd love to get permission to throw a few bass in those ponds and come back in a couple years...