Fly Tying
zip

need help with woven bodies

Iv been looking at the woven body stlye of flies and cant figure out for the life of me how to do it. :dunno: Does anyone have a link or something other to help me with this?Thanks Zip

Zip

Try to get a dvd called Essential Patterns volume two by Oliver Edwards. I have many

fly tying and casting DVDs by famous authors but this is the only one I can reccomend

without reservation. He is not only a great tyer but a born instructor. Most are made by

good tyers but poor teachers.

The dvd teaches 5 different weaves. It is a little pricey (about $40) I think, but well worth it.

Tight lines and heavy creels

-Tom

note: Be sure to get "volume two".

Ive been tying polish woven nymphs for some time now, i learned from a dvd by Oliver Edwards, i still cant fine that particular weave on the internet, but if you go to www.theflybench.com under nymphs, it will show you a similar weave, hope this helps.

Erik

I second (or third) the recommendation for the Oliver Edwards DVD. For years, I was unable to understand the shuttle weave (used for the polish nymphs) from various articles, even those with detailed photos.

Then a friend loaned me the DVD and I understood it right away. I don't use it much, but I finally know how to do it. Pricey, but a great video (as are Edwards' videos generally).

If you hop in your car right now, you can be at the Gulf Coast Council Expo in Lake Charles, LA in the morning! I'm a little closer, so I'll be there this evening, in time to suck the heads of hot, well seasoned, boiled crawfish!!

Slim Mitchell of Dallas Road Kill Round Table fame, taught me the finer points of weaving, and Slim'll be tying on Sat. morning. Slim's woven mayflies are amazing!!

Dirk Burton, who's Tussel Bug won th 2006 FFF's Bluegill Vertical Drop catergory award last year, will be teaching a class on weaving, and if ya' show up, I'll teach ya' how to weave a "chartreuse mono rattle shrimp".

Besides, ya' can fish in front of the convention center and catch reds ana specks!! Whoa Hoo!!

Now, that's the best offer ya' had all week!

Tight lines,

Bowfin47

Zip,

Here is a link to one weave pattern that I have used for some of my nymphs:

weave link

In this one they use Larva Lace but you can use this weave with other materials as well.

Good Luck!

Tom

That weave, I think called the overhand knot weave, always seemed more straightforward to me than the others.

I'm sure many can pick this up from photo tutorials, but for me the video was essential to getting it right.

Zip,

Here is another link, this one is dealing with woven hackle flies. I hope this will help.

Jeff

Thanks for thelp fellas.Il try to tie one and post a pic of how it turns out.Thanks again Zip