Fly Tying

FTF Feedback Needed

Well, it appears that summer is is full force which usually means things here at FTF slow down somewhat. Everyone is out enjoying the sunshine and fishing instead of sitting at their computer talking about it. Imagine that.

This is actually the time of year where I plan on doing new things so that when the masses return in the fall there are plenty of new and exciting things to do around here.

So, this is your chance to speak up and voice any ideas on what would make FTF a better place. Anything goes. Add features to the fly database, new features, new forums...whatever. Any want a monthly photo of Steeldrifter wearing a bikini?

Have any ideas about the contest? Speak up or don't complain when the contest finally gets here that you don't like how it is set up. :D I plan on announcing the contest sometime in June and this year I do think the deadline for submission is going to be moved up to the end of October to avoid any conflicts with Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.

I may not respond to individual ideas but I will certainly take note and consider all your ideas.

I like the idea of the virtual fly tying however if someone is not able to get there they may miss out on a good class.I think it would be a good idea to maybe start a fly video archive.Someone could set up a digital video camera and record a themselves tying the fly(at the same time giving advice)and put it here on FTF.Doesnt even have to be a class neccecarily.SO if a person misses the class or just wants to see something new tyied,that recource is available to them.Just an idea

Tight Lines

Just another quick thought-And i think others might like this.Im a member of another forum for pets and they have whats called "pet points'.For each post the make they get a certain amount of points.More for starting a topic,less for replying and so on.At the end of the month the person with the most points gets a prize,then second place then third place.

Do you do streamside picture contests?That may be fun as well.

Or maybe a bunch of us on FTF could sell a buch of flies to make money for the site?

Tight Lines

It has been mentioned and I think it is a pretty good idea. To have a mandatory category for the contest. Not really mandatory you can submit a fly if you want. Maybe a well know pattern, like a royal coachman. Even if each category like bass, trout, salt water, salmon all had a mandatory fly. Say an Addams for trout, a Clouser for Saltwater, a deer hair bug for bass and a Black bear green butt for Salmon. The prize could be the mandatory flies submitted. This is just a rough idea, but when you think about a certain species in general there is usually a fly everyone can associate with that species. The fly submitted must follow the pattern with no substitutions/alterations made.

I'd just have to say "Keep up the good work." You've built a fine site Smallie.

Oh...er...may not be the right time for Steeldrifter's bikini calendar, revisit the idea in another 25-30 years.

Just a few thoughts, some of which have been mentioned before. But since you specifically asked, I'll bring them up again:

Regarding FTOTY, 1st, I would like to see a second round of voting based on the "full box" of flies that each tier sends in, based on skill and variety. 2nd, I think it would be great fun to have an "Fugliest Fly" category, or, perhaps if you don't want to taint FTOTY, a separate contest. See what god-aweful things people can come up with. I am also intruigued by the idea of a compulsory (standard pattern) fly category for FTOTY. Worth some thought.

Regarding the Pattern Database - Rarely if ever do I stop and use the first page that pops up with all of the latest patterns. I'm always looking for something more specific, and so it would be more efficient if the first page that pops up when I go to the database were the search screen. Maybe I'm the oddity in this case, but that's my opinion.

Other than that, I like the relaxed atmosphere, general absenteeism of overt politics, and the freedom to share information by posting links to other sites, even if they aren't a paying sponsor.

With or without my suggestions, I'll still be here. A lot of the time it's about the only fishing fix I get.

WHAT ABOUT A MEMBER OF THE YEAR ..BASE IT ON CONTRIBUTIONS,HELPFUL POST ETC ETC ETC

TO THE SITE ....GET A GROUP FROM THE FORUM TOGETHER HAVE MEMBERS NOMINATE AND HAVE THE GROUP VOTE....PRIZE COULD BE A BOX OF FLIES DONATED TO THE SITE OR A ROD OR SOME OTHER TYPE

OF FLFISHING OR TYING MATERIALS..JUST A THOUGHT...THIS MAY ALSO GET MORE PEOPLE ACTIVELY INVOLVED WITH THE SITE..............PS CANT WAIT TIL FTOTY 07......ALSO WILL ANY WORD ON SHIRTS OR HATS THIS YEAR I SAW A POST EARLIER ABOUT IT OR ANOTHER ROD RAFFLE...JUST WONDERING

AS ALWAYS GREAT SITE AND THANKS FOR YOUR HARD WORK........... :D MIKE

I'm thankful that you guys all work so hard to provide this forum for us. While I understand the need to always look for improvement and make things better, I also believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"- I'll be happy if the site stays the same, and I'll be happy if the owners decide to make changes. I'm easy.

I really enjoy the Virtual Fly tying classes & would also like to be able to have access to previous classes.

I think that having contests/raffles are the best way to go to raise money for the site & maybe they should happen more often. Since this is a flytying site what if we were to have mandatory fly boxes contributed by members that could also be used to raise money....'Caddis Fly Box', 'Adams Fly Box', .......It could be a way of paying 'dues' to a really great site. I'd also like to see a return of shirts/hats......I know there are always issues when it comes to raisng money...it can be very tricky but I wouldn't want to loose this site should funding run out. Plus.....it's ALOT of work & I thank you for it ...and anyone else thats involved. Keep it up.

I second deeky's motion-sounds awesome!

WEBSITE.

Maybe some people would like a tube flies forum?

Old stuff forum: where you can post old old fly paterns.

a Creative forum: the contest has creative flies why not the website.

CONTEST.

I also support the standard fly pattern for the contest.

And all catagories have the hook sizes listed, Not just the itsy bitsy teenie weenie.

MISC.

Also you could make a DVD and sell it to the members: have members contribute patterns and put them on DVD.(Other websites/forums have done this).

I Think it would be best if you made a DVD for each kind of tying: Realistic, Cold Water, Warm Water, Classic Salmon, Etc.

Edit:Corection it was on CD-Rom not DVD. Each pattern had step by step instructions.

Thanks Will this site is amazing