Fly Tying
IceFly

Buying Material Online

I was at Orvis the other day and noticed that they have quite a good selection of fly tying materials, which kind of surprised me.

What other places do you have in your Favorites for buying material online (please include link if you can)

Most of the guys here have commented on J. Stockard's service and product. An added bonus is they are a sponsor here. I like to use Feather-Craft or Cabelas myself. I do need to sit down and look into the Stockard line. I'm sure others will add their .02 cent's worth too.

Mike

I will buy hooks and other stuff online but hackles and deer hair I have to see! The only exception is buying deer hair from Chris Helm, that is a guy you can trust. He will habd pick out something that fits your needs. I don't even like buying hackle I know pretty well such as Hoffman or Miner. It is a matter of color, texture and other things that is hard to explain.

J. Stockard is great to order from. They have fast shipping and they have almost everything you could need. Great service and about the only place I order from somewhat regularly. I do get most of my stuff at my local shop but they don't always have what I need.

I order most of my stuff from JStockard. I just ordered a new vise from them last friday and had it in hand on tuesday. You can't beat there service! And they also take pay-pal.

Chalk me up as another J.Stockard groupie. They have been nothing short of awesome in the past 2 years I have been useing them. Prices are great, service is top notch with the confirmation emails and letting you know the next day that your stuff was shipped, and I dont think I have ever waited over 4 days at the logest for an order from them. And on the off chance something is back ordered it's usually here not even 2 days later B)

Steve

been seriously checking out the JS egg material deal as of late, mcflyfoam for under $3.00 B) , shipping to canada is going to be the kicker tho

The problem with buying hackle on line, I'll agree, is that it demands the touchy-feely approach. I got a beautiful grizzly saddle from JStockard for not much money a couple years ago - supple, small hook size, every feather useful - but I haven't done quite as well buying on line since. I've ordered the same quality hackle in a different color, and it doesn't really compare. Nothing beats handling that stuff before you buy.

I used to tie commercially for the hook and hackle company located in pennsylvania and I order a lot through them though certainly not exclusively.He's been around forever (at least 15 years) Here is their site...www.hookhack.com/ Their prices are awesome, the selection of materials is great and the owner is really good about getting the material you need when you tell him what your trying to accomplish with it.

I use Stockard's, Cabelas, Mcfeathers and others as well. But you often have to shop around...especially when it comes to capes which often sell out during the trout season or you need a specific material one shop carries but another doesn't. The key to online shopping is to get to know the owner of the place, make sure he's knowledgeble and honest because you have to depened on their eyes and knowledge in selecting quality materials or materials suited to what you want to try to accomplish.

I thought that he was a new owner at Hook and Hackle. The store has also moved from it's original location.

I got a really good deal from them on a large hook order ($1100.00) for my fly club's tying session members last year and they were ok to deal with.

Randy

I get a lot of my tying gear from the USA through Ebay. There is so much available in the USA that is not available here in Australia it's not funny. Where comparable gear is available here the USA prices, including post to Aust, are generally much cheaper, sometimes a quarter of the Aust shop prices, or even lower.

A Whitings cape here can cost as much as A$150 (US$120) and I can get them in the USA, landed in Aust, for about A$25 - A$35. sometimes Aust Quarantine want to Gamma irradiate them & this costs a further A$60 (per shipment) but if I get 10 it works out at only an extra A$6 per cape, still a huge saving on shop prices here.

It's not only capes & saddles which are cheaper in the USA, hooks are another example, about a quarter the price here.

If the word fly is whacked at the front of the products name, the shops here bung a huge markup on them. They must think we are made of money because we fly fish, this is not the case.

ubbrd