Fly Tying
flytire

Stuck cap

I'm just short of using a pair of pliers to unstick a stuck on head cement bottle cap.

Any ideas other than a pair of pliers??? I don't want to break the cap.Its a newer bottle!

:wallbash:

I've always used super glue remover. You can find it at target, WalMart, Walgreens...etc. Apply it around the base of the stuck cap while holding the glue bottle upside down. Let it sit for a moment then try to unscrew the cap. It may take a couple of applications, but has alsways worked well for me.

Also, an occasional cleaning of the bottle and cap threads with super glue remover and a Q-tip will help prevent the cap being stuck.

Good luck!

--Pfisherman

Turn the bottle over and put a little head cement thinner in and arround the cap with a bodkin. Even thin head cement or nail polish remover will work, just something to moisten it up. and let it sit and soak in for a while. Tap the lid with a screw driver or on your desk lightly, anything, you know how you try to loosen any stuck lid. Then come daddy on it. It shoud break the seal. Once you get it off and clean the threads on the bottle and cap a bit of tying wax on the threads should help it from ever getting stuck again.

the silver foil on the cardboard underside of my head cement cap is pretty much gone, so i always lay a piece of aluminum foil across the top of the bottle and make sure the threads are covered. it acts as a non-stick barrier. it usually last for a few uses and once it tears i just grab a fresh piece of foil. hope that helps in the future.

As a temporary solution I would recommend a whole bottle of Jose Cuervo Gold.

You drink it and you forget about the problem until next time!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Now... seriously, use acetone (nail polish remover in its pure form)!!!!!!!

hot tap water worked just fine. then i cleaned out the dried cement from inside the cap.

thanks for the responses

the silver foil on the cardboard underside of my head cement cap is pretty much gone, so i always lay a piece of aluminum foil across the top of the bottle and make sure the threads are covered. it acts as a non-stick barrier. it usually last for a few uses and once it tears i just grab a fresh piece of foil. hope that helps in the future.

Twofingerz, Try cutting a peice of foam into a circle and put that in the cap, It lasts forever.

You can also put a thin coating of vasoline on the bottle threads, that will keep it from sticking in the first place. But I like the Jose Cuervo

school of problem solving, too.

I have tried all of the above methods with varying degrees of sucess...having said that,I will also add that I've had one or two bottles that have resisted ALL of the above methods,and had to be tossed!!

Sulphernut

A small Channel Lock plier has become a standard tool on my bench. Got it right in there with the needlw nose, heavy scissors, etc.

Go for it. If you break it you have another excuse to go to the store.

T