Fly Tying
Will Milne

Been lurking and enjoying, thought I'd say Hi

Hi

Great to see a forum combining fly fishing/tying and photography- all personal interests here.

Hope to learn some and share some - if it's usefull to all

By way of an intro here is what I have been exploring-

A few images

Will

Hi Will,

Welcome aboard, and I enjoyed checking out your website. Your photography galleries and fly tying are very impressive, and noticed that you also shoot with a D200. I hope we all learn a lot from each other, sure will help make the learning curve smoother, and friendlier.

Graham

Very nice Will. I hope you don't mind me pestering you about photography and such. Graham and John (Wulff) are putting up with me very well.

Welcome.

Jeff

Hi

Ty for the warm welcome and kind words.

Kodiak - if I can help , I,m certainly happy to do so:)

Graham- Yep the d200 was a very recent purchase, so I,m still fiddling with buttons/settings etc. My R1 is a great cam but lacking in macro capability. I picked up Nikon 105 Micro VR. Very sharp and smooth operating lens. I,m finding that for 1:1 or close, I,m not getting as sharp as I would really like/expect. I have a MC-36 remote and DR-6 Right angle finder on the way. Hopefully to kill any mirror slap/triggering induced fuzzines and to make manual focusing a little easier.

I'll let you all know how that plays out.

Will

Hi Will,

When I bought my D200 in June of 06 I had no idea what an f/stop was. I knew nothing about photography other than being able to find subjects I liked to capture with my point and shoot Sony.

I bought the Thom Hogan D200 e-book, which has over 700 pages of detailed info, and also comes with a number of other helpful files, spread sheets, full programable setting suggestions, up-loadable camera curves, etc... I tweaked the camera settings over time to suit my needs. I use Nikon Capture to choose all of my shooting and custom settings, then upload these into the camera. I read the Thom Hogan book several times and now feel like I have a comprehensive understanding of how my camera works.

I have the right angle viewer but haven't used it yet. I bought a very light weight tent-footprint tarp, was rather expensive, but super light weight and compact when folded. I seem to prefer laying on the ground as opposed to being hunched over looking through the right angle finder. But I keep it in my macro bag and it will come in handy. My biggest problem lately is finding time to photograph things.

The MC-36 helps alot, especially when combined with mirror-lock-up, to eliminate mirror slap vibration. The timer function can also accomplish this, but the cable release just makes it so much easier and enjoyable, especially for macro and landscape shots.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photography.

When I look back at many of the photos I liked from last year I notice a number with highlights blown out, and hopefully I have learned to keep this under control.

One more thing, about controlling fuzziness with macro shooting, a solid tripod and head helps a lot.

Graham

Hi Will,

Welcome to the group, I see you've already met some of the regular folk and I'm sure more will step forward to introduce themselves. I see you've alread met our moderator, Graham. Don't let him kid you, he is a very good photographer no matter how short of a time he's been enjoying this aspect of our sport. I will watch with interest how you use your 105mm macro lense; keep us up to date on your progress whether it is good or bad.

I looked over your photo's and they are most impressive; a couple of them looked good enough to publish. Take care & ...

Tight Lines – Al & Gretchen Beatty

BT’s Fly Fishing Products &

Flyfisher Magazine

[email protected]

[email protected]

Welcome aboard Will. Recognise your name from the IA and looking forwards to seeing more of your images here.

J

Glad to have ya around Will..Nice photos too..Looking forward to viewing more..