Fly Tying
JayMorr

FTF Photography Forum

Guys I have learned more from the Photography forum in the past couple months and I am continually amazed by the work you guys all post.

Seriously, I think the Photography forum should almost be a seperate board or at least have some additional forums within the photography forum here on FTF. Forums for Birding and other wildlife could be put into sub forums. Questions on Exposure etc...in others. Photo Contests to meet several areas of interest (not specific to just fly fishing) could also be held. I am sure there are great Photography forums out there but I really enjoy the members here.

Grahm, Wulff, others... have you guys thought about doing this or are you involved on other Photography forums? Photography has always been a love of mine and I love the fact that we have an awesome community here.

Hi Jay,

This is the only forum I check daily but I have posted a few photos on the Outdoor Photography magazine forum, but that one never really took off. I don't have time to get involved with numerous forums, and many of my photos are only posted here. I have a hidden hobby section buried in the back of my solar biz website, and I'll probably add some of my most recent shots there, but for me, that’s about it.

I really like this forum, we all have so much in common, besides photography, and it's a friendly place. I feel at home here and really feel like I'm learning along with others. I think each of us has new and interesting things to inject as well as things to learn and experiment with.

I hope more people join in as time goes by because we'll all likely learn more, and get to view more amazing things, such as John's Wolf photography.

Maybe we should start some new dedicated topics and have those pinned at the top of the forum? Maybe some unusual field techniques would be interesting to share. Such as yesterday, I finally got a shot I have envisioned for almost a year, the white egret landing into deep orange sunset light. I had waited for a long time, studied the flight patterns of this bird, knew its favorite tree branch to land on in early evening, and needed the sun directly from the west, just as it was setting, with the wind from the west. (birds take off and land into the wind, like airplanes) I climbed the tree, clamped my camera to the branch with a manfotto magic arm system, made my settings, had the wireless release good to go, and waited for the bird to return. The shot isn't exactly as I envisioned, but I can say the bird was real surprised by the camera, lol...

I truly have a lot of fun with photography, its brought so much new found enjoyment into my life, and I hope to learn as much as possible, and share as much as possible. I would never be happy taking product shots all day long, but being out in the field trying to capture and share nature is just as enjoyable as fly fishing. I can't stop thinking about next months two week fly fishing/photography trip to NY.

Anyway, I feel glad and honored to communicate with all of the participants on the FTF photography forum. For me, this is the forum I'll be hanging out on.

Graham

And general equipment chat and first hand reviews.

It was truly a treat handling and shooting both of the new Nikon cameras last Saturday, both the D300 and D3. My local Samys Camera store had the Nikon reps there, as well as many other manufacturers reps. The D3 is huge compared to my D200, much larger and heavier, but what a beauty it is. I only got to shoot the cameras in store, but it was fun. I also shot a $28,000 29 mega pixel Hasselblad camera. You can take a bust portrait of someone and zoom in on the LCD screen until a couple of pores on the end of the nose fill the screen, in focus. Incredible stuff. I bought a new Think Tank belt and bags system, which I really like for carrying my gear in the field, readily accessible, and organized.

I guess a bunch of sub forum topics would be nice, such as macro, light, various techniques, flash, lenses, tutorials, etc. I don't know if thats possible?

Graham

I am a member on the Penaxforums website trying to learn some stuff on the Pentax camera that I have. I check there maybe once a day and here it is about a dozen times each day. Maybe in the pinned section have one called "taking the training wheels off" and we can post experiments that we try and show the results with the F stops, shutter speeds and ISO (can you tell I've really been reading that book lol). I do like the reviews idea and the monthly photo contest and maybe links to helpful resources that was already done in one of the posts on here.

Jim

ps if there is anyway I can help doing this let me know.

Some random thoughts.

I participate on a few boards currently. Each board is somewhat different from the next with common underlying themes relating to either photography, or fly fishing. Often I have trouble keeping up with post n each. I view most but replying to a fair number is near impossible.

What makes this forum different is that everyone participating (we assume) shares the same interest in flyfishing first, rather than say being a forum full of wildlife (bird) shooter who may wet a line once a year or so :). That makes it easier ( I think) to share and discuss various different kinds of photography. If you goto a "photography" board it tends to be specialty forums and heavily emphasised by some incredible photogaphers. Its a sublte difference, but important I think.

Theres only one other fly fishing site that I know of where some fly anglers are sharing their enjoyment of photography as well at moderate to erious level. By that I mean DSLRs and a mixture of shooters in decent numbers from beginners to Pros. Not quite sure why, but the "photography" aspect is heavily influenced and biased towards "fly-fishing". Thats good, its enjoyable with some stunning photography, but theres precious little areas of photography...aka wildlife, landscape, miscellaneous. I dont know about the rest of you but in 2 years of *trying* to do fly-fishing related photography Ive find ti near impossible. By myself Its hard to handle the gear, plus wear my fishing gear and try to take catch fish in order to photograph them :) Its a shame because somewhere down the road Id love to contribute some mags, but theres a lack of models and opportunity. So 90% of my photography is non fishing despite how much Id liek to change that :)

Anywho.

Point Im getting at is its alot of work to really run some photgraphy forums. Its extra work for the Admins and the mods. Its alot for the particpants to. You get out what you put in. Commenting on photos, critquing when asked, offering advice and opinions etc. Its upto the Admins and Mods how they want to grow this forum (if at all). Theres an undeniable truth that with the advances in technology more and more people are taking it up. Photography and fly-fishing are like PB and J. People who fly fish likely love the outdoors and the outdoors and photgraphy....ah well. So far the lack of "specialty" here seems to work well. If things start separating with empahsis on one type or another it may detract from the overall appeal....Dunno

I think sticky threads might be a good idea for some threads and Im more than willing to particpate and help, advise etc but beyond that its alot of work for the Admins and Mods.

When I stumbled onto the FTF Photo Corner a year or so ago, I'd been out of photography for ten years, having been burned out by the art fair circuit, crooked gallery owners, and the usual assortment of parasites. What I found here was a group of people who were going out there with their cameras simply because they loved what they were doing. I'd forgotten all about that part of it, and the enthusiasm that abounds here must have been contagious, because it's gotten me back in the game. In fact my wife and I are planning to establish some sort of gallery/studio/school operation when we complete our move back to Rhode Island (YIPPEEEE!!!!) in the next few weeks. (she's a painter/potter/writer) I owe you guys a lot.

Very well said, Wulff. Nothing against Jay's idea at all as I'm sure the forum would be very helpful. I enjoy this forum a lot and I think it's because we share a common interest in fly fishing. We have some great photographers here that are always willing to help. I know I've learned quite a bit over the last 6 months. While I don't visit any other photography forums, the shots here rival anything I've seen in fly fishing magazines. Some truly talented photographers here and I appreciate everyone for sharing their photos.

I agree with Peterjay, its the enthusiam here that seems so contagious. And I agree with Wulff, the enjoyment of outdoor experience binds us together. I really have no desire to become a pro, but I do feel happy when I get paid a few hundred dollars to e-mail a high rez file for publication. I've met a number of pro's here in L.A. and the ones that live in multi-million dollar homes in the Hollywood hills are into fashion and portrait photography. My company put solar panels on this guys magnificent home two years ago, and he does very well as a pro photographer. http://www.briandavis.com/

I've also met two very succesfull TV show producers who got their start as photographers, and I've been told that I'll get much more enjoyment photographing for self satisfaction than being on the job. The competition is very stiff, and currently the growing trend is for much higher quality, and those who can afford Sinar, Hasselblad and Leaf camera systems will have an edge over those shooting 35mm and smaller, like me. That said, some types of photography need speed, such as wildlife, and thats where Nikon and Canon systems out perform the expensive medium format gear.

My goal as a photographer is to try and capture scenes that I enjoy looking at, and sharing them with others who were not there. A decade ago, before starting a family, I spent about 80 days a year in the high Sierra, mostly fly fishing, and hopefully I'll be doing that again in the relative near future, with my camera belt on. Last time I went to the Sierra, I didn't even fish, instead I hiked with my little point and shoot taking photos, and it was truly an enjoyable trip. I still can't belive I haven't visited the high country since getting a SLR camera. Luckily, there's so many things I'm looking forward to photographing. Eventually I want to get a Nikon D3, full frame camera, and focus on landscape photography. But for now, the birds at my local city lake keep me happy.

Graham if you would like to add a couple "sub fourms" to this main forum then we can do that for you. This photography forum has really taken off and I'm sure Will woudn't mind a couple specific sub forums. If you'd like to add a sub forum or two shoot me a Pm with what you would like and I can get it set up for you.

Steve

Great points guys! I love coming to this forum. I really do not want to admit this but I had the FTF flytying forum bookmarked and after coming to the Photography forum so much I switched the bookmark to auto pull up the FTF Photography forum first ;)

I have learned so much from you guys and it is fun to share thoughts, techniques, and photos with everyone here. I think stickies or some sub-forums would make a great new addition to an already established, growing and fun community of fly fishers!

Thanks!

Jay

AWESOME Steve! Now we should figure out as a group the titles for the sub forums. Maybe Landscape and Scenery, Macro and Fly Photography, Wildlife and fish, and General Discussion. A couple more moderators would be nice as well. Sometimes I have time to read and post here numerous times a day, and other times life can be too hectic.

I'm really glad this forum is taking off, and I'm seriously looking forward to eventually meeting members and having some fun. I just don't want any Canon Nikon arguments like I see on some forums. A couple of my favorite photos were taken with my old 3mp Sony camera. I'd be just as happy shooting Canon as Nikon. Would probably be happy shooting a Hasselblad as well, lol. I met a guy last spring at the Fly Fishing show in Pasadena, a local guy, a pro, does work for fly fishing companies, shoots with a Hassy on stream, http://www.vahedala.com. I don't know how some guys do it, my bills are relentless, and buying camera gear like that is not possible. Anyway, I'm rambling on again, but I do enjoy looking at photographers web sites, and sharing those links would likely add to our experience here on the forum.

So, lets narrow down a short list of sub-forums.

I have been really enjoying the spirit and content on here so a couple of thoughts.

Splitting things down into sub- forums has an up and down side as noted in previous posts.. So here would be my suggestion-

General discussion...- topic open.. bird photography etc etc . place to post pics about a subject

Technique discussion.... so bird photography does'nt get bogged down in technique issues and the threads stay a little more focused.

Equipment dicussion... place to ask/talk about the toys.

Fly Tying Photography.... a place to ask how/share images/step by step imaging ideas etc etc

See where that leads... and add more focused topics as the need/evolution demands

Will

I think that might be the way to approach it initially Will. Just a couple/few forums to separate the images from discussion type topics somewhat.