Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishaholic69

how do you use leech wrap?

I got some assorted materials the other day and it got some leech wrap in black/ brown, purple, and grey. just wondered what you use it for ( I assume leeches) and how do you use it to make um. sorry I am a noob but I can't find it any where because when you search it it doesn't pop anything up about it. can anyone explain it to me or give me a link of how to use it.

I have some leech wrap. I just used it as a chenille to tie some Egg Sucking Leeches. (a wooly bugger with a bright head)

If you're talking about a leech yarn .. or mohair .. I just tie in a marabou tail and wrap the yarn from the bend of the hook forward towards the eye and fold the fibers back towards the bend. Then I take a piece of velcro or some type of dubbing brush and "rough up" the body a bit.

Mike

I had some leech wrap when I lived up north. I always had a hell of a time getting those dam' things to stay still when I was wrapping them up in it. Didn't seem like it made them work any better, but I think they stayed warmer.

:blink:

Here's a pattern i did with leech yarn. Same stuff?

IPB Image

It did good on the Smallmouth. Have yet to get it out on the Steelhead.

Brent

That could be used as a streamer material. Not really a material i would use. I have a box of stuff i thought could be used for fly tying that never made it. The kids enjoy making stuff out of it. If You get it to work post a pattern.

Brent

maybe your could wrap it up like chenile on a bugger and it would work like a leech? maybe put a beadhead at the front? guess I can think of something. prolly has a good breathing action underwater. could always think of something or just try.

wicked carpenter,

I have some of that leech yarn but never really found a use for it. How do you get it bush out like that. My stuff doesnt seem to do that, it just kind of looks like dubbing when wrapped on the hook. By the way nice fly.

Undertow

fishaholic-That stuff looks almost like psudo hackle from jsflyfishing.com could be wrong though.

Brent I had some luck on the smallies this year with the leech patterns as well.

Undertow-I get mine to look like that from using a small toothbrush,a comb may work.Id like to how Brent gets his like that.

I was just jumping on to tell wicked to nevermind I figured it out. You just have to pick at it a little bit to get it fan out. I used my fingers but a comb or toothbrush would work good to. I bought this stuff to make leeches with almost a year ago and the only use I could find for it was body material for hellgramites. Now Ive got two nice looking leeches, ones even a egg sucker. Once again problem solved with help from this forum :D

Undertow

I do brush out the fibers with a brush but using hackle pliars to hold the leech yarn when wraping it forward while stroking the fibers back is the ticket.

If done by hand every wrap you make flatens out the fibers further up the material to be applied.

IPB Image

I also run a scissor cutting edge along the bottom of the fly to undo any tangle fibers on the body and hookbend.

The white ones have been great!

Brent

I have never used the leech wrap but would probably make a tail of marabou or simmilar, chenille body wire rib. Then tie on the leech wrap just above the tail tie in point and palmer or spiral wrap it forward, like a bugger. Brushing every thing back as you wrap. Looks like you could even use the leech wrap as a tail by making a loop of the material shank length of the back of the hook, or by burning the loose end of the wrap, (like Wicked did with the chenille tail on the fly shown) so it will not fray and fall apart when fished. I would like to play with that stuff, I bet you could use it like a rabbit strip tail/ wing, like a strip leech. Show us what you come up with, looks like great stuff.

From your pictures, I see what you mean by leach wrap. It is NOT leach yarn, which is brushed mohair. Brushed mohair can be wrapped up the hook from bend to head, tail is optional. Using a velcro or toothbrush brush out the mohair to make it as shaggy as posible. These work great. I hardly ever go to the trouble of making wooly buggers with chennile and haclke any more.

The material you have is a yarn product call "Sable" by the manufacturer. Its a short uniform length and silky looking. I have used it myself in brown and black to make "leaches" and Assam dragons. For the leaches, I start with a maraboo tail, and then just wrap the Sable yarn up the hook.

The Assam Dragon, is a pattern for Dragon fly nymphs. It was origionally tied using beaver fur strips. This Sable yarn makes a very good substitute.

The trick to using this yarn, is to get it to lay back toward the rear of the hook as you wrap. Cut off about a foot, and tie in and take a turn, It should lay with the sewn edge in front, and loose edge to the back. If it doesn't after the first turn, unwrap, and tie it in by the other end. Reversing it will make it lay right.

I havn't used either pattern enough to make a decision about how good they will be.