Fly Tying
breambuster

I Need Suggestions Regarding a Gill Swap

OK, I'm NOT announcing it yet, so don't start signing up! :) After the popularity of the Bluegill Swap I hosted this past Spring, I'm thinking about doing a second Bluegill swap this Fall/Winter. But before I announce it, I'd like suggestions on 2 things from potential swappers. First, the last swap grew to be SO large, that it became a hardship for some of the swappers. Also, I don't know when the majority of the swappers here will be ready to get back into it. It's still warm down South, but I don't know how it is in Northern climes. So please respond with your suggestions on either or both of these two topics.

1. How many swappers would you like to see in a Bluegill Swap?

2. When would be a good due date?

Just so you will know, I think the theme of Bluegill Swap #2 will be productivity. The first swap was for your favorite fly when going after LARGE gills. This swap will be your go-to fly when you want to catch a sack full of gills.

OK, what do you guys think?

BB

I'm not a master by any standard but I love to swap and fish.

My opinion, Date- around Thanksgiving. By that time alot of the fishing in northern Illinois has slowed to a crawl.

Number of tyers- 20 or so, more than that you will have your hands full with managing it.

By the way "I'm in" when your ready.

Juice :P

I'd be interested, fo' sho'.

Thanksgivingish timeline sounds about right.

I'd keep the number at 18, tops. That last one did get to be a lot of work.

I totally agree that the last swap got out of hand & it was entirely my fault. I had invited someone that I felt SURE would want to join & I was waiting to hear from that person. In the meantime, several others wanted to join. It took 2 or 3 days to hear from the person I was waiting for & when I DID hear from that person, they were too busy with other things to join. So it was my fault. When I open this swap, I will have a set number of swappers and that will be the absolute limit. If you don't get in before the limit is reached, you will just have to wait for Bluegill #3. I will PM those of you who have expressed an interest, if there aren't too many & if there are, I'll PM up to the limit and no more. So when you get the PM you'd better MOVE IT!

So, if we are going to go for Thanksgiving, or a little later, say, Nov 30, I'll need to open it in about another week. I'm trying to solve a problem here that I'm not getting email notices for replies to my post or for PMs. I've just set up another email account & I hope it works. Sometime about the middle of August, I stopped getting email notices. So somebody reply to this so I can see if the new email works.

BB

15-20 range sounds about right, these ties usually are pretty fast, so number isn't a huge issue, another gill swap I'm in made multiple teams since his response was more then expected. I would be ready to go about anytime however I guess is still much to do yet before the snow flies.