Fly Tying
Capt. Matt C

I snapped

Ok, well i really feel bad now since I just got done pissing and moaning about my measly 63 bucks every 2weeks for myself, the wife and 2 kids. So with my tail between my legs and my eyes as wide as dinner plates, from seeing the $430, I will slowly slink back over to my corner and lick my wounded pride. i mean I have always known I didn't have it that bad just never thought I really had THAT good. Hang in there, job changes are tough and at least you know you'll be doning something that you will enjoy.

Steve

Chalk it up to a pre-mature mid-life crisis! Not enough sleep with the baby which leaves you contemplating moving & then changing professions because the latest predictions on how much it's going to cost to raise a child thru a college education at probably close to a a small fortune ! First time coming to Florida back in the 60's remember a Holiday Inn sign after crossing the Georgia-Florida state line : Keep Florida Green - Bring Money. It should be updated to bring money for expensive medical maladies to find the fountain of youth cure :hyst: B)

Chalk it up to a pre-mature mid-life crisis! Not enough sleep with the baby which leaves you contemplating moving & then changing professions because the latest predictions on how much it's going to cost to raise a child thru a college education at probably close to a a small fortune ! First time coming to Florida back in the 60's remember a Holiday Inn sign after crossing the Georgia-Florida state line : Keep Florida Green - Bring Money. It should be updated to bring money for expensive medical maladies to find the fountain of youth cure :hyst: B)

I think thats what it is. Although the baby sleeps pretty darn good.

Capt. not trying to bust on you but there's always two sides to every coin. I've had my own plumbing business for over 25 yrs. I had to pay full coverage for my employees with no co pay. They had better coverage then I had on myself. Insurance cost kept going up and up but the employees don't see that. So I started to have each of them get there own policy in their name and when they got the bill to bring it to me and I would pay it. Well I don't know how many times I got "Do you know how much this costs" or I can't believe how much they raised it this time. They all got to see how much the benefit they got cost ME. Tryed getting more help and was offering salary and benifits that would cost me 70 thousand a man, hired 10 people back to back and not one showed up. Finally said to heck with it, got rid of everybody and just work solo now, make just as much if not more with none of the grief. Health costs have jumped in part because they know that businesses were picking up the tab. If everybody had to pay their own and could shop around all the time or take deductables and other cuts in coverage that may not really be needed, such as maternity for a single guy, I don't think you would have seen the constant jump in costs. Yet illegal

imigrants that come over are getting it for nothing and feel that their intitled to it . :wallbash: Don't even want to go there.

Hey Bob,

Ya I understand that. My wife was in the insurance business. There are a lot of factors that make me want to leave teaching not just the insurance. The insurance cost was the "straw that broke the camels back". Ex: (I'm gonna whine for a minute) I have a B.S in Education with 2 state certificates. In an attempt to bring in more teachers FL has an okay starting salary. Now, the districts have increased the salary each year for newly hired by around 1,500 dollars; ex: just to throw random numbers out, if I started last year making 10,000 this year's newbie's will make 12,500 and next years 15,000. Keep in mind that you do not need a teaching degree to teach in FL. Now, 3 new teachers were hired this year, 1 worked as a grocery store clerk, the other at a bank and the other at a clothing store. They make more money than I do because they came on this year. Never mind I have 2 years more experience and a degree. I never see that pay increase. When I found that out I assumed that my salary would jump up with the new every year, nope. So I said to the principal, "So I should quit and get rehired next year, right?" Principal replies "It doesn't work that way, I know its crap." I'm thankful to have a job and benefits, I'm lucky for that and I also understand business practices to an extent. It's just that I want more for my family than living pay check to pay check and I'm ready to do better for them. It aint about me anymore!

Capt- almost sounds like they want to force teachers to quit early so they don't get locked in for pension. Lousey situation. Sounds like idiots are running your school board.

Capt- almost sounds like they want to force teachers to quit early so they don't get locked in for pension. Lousey situation. Sounds like idiots are running your school board.

That's how I see it. I know your from PA. Thats where I was born and raised and graduated college. Pay stinks up there for a while but if you can hang in there you can make a decent living. School districts are small, but it's hard as hell to get a job. Down here they'll hire anyone it seems (the teacher I replaced barley spoke english) the districts are county wide, an example of that would be, elk county school district or potter county school district. They run the schools like businesses here. School choice, meaning kids come and go all year long, get in trouble in one school, transfer to another. Same for teachers, "I dont like this building so I'll go to another". I've never seen anything like it. Some might ask, "So Matt, why did you even get into teaching in the first place?" I think if I taught up north, I may feel different. I know I know :cry: wa wa wa

I'll bet that you meant per month.

If that's the case, it's about what I pay.... and I work for a state government.

I think that if more of those of the board check their pay stubs, they also pay amounts in this range per month...

Capt one other thing to think about, How long can you work as a fireman? I'm 53, my knees are killing me, my joints sound like your stepping on bubble wrap when I get up in the morning don't have the strength like I used to, I'm just getting old. I can't see myself doing this to the extendt that I am right now when I'm 60 if I'm even lucky to make it that far. I knew this would be the case years ago and made financial decisions in the past so I wouldn't have to worry about it, if I hadn't I'd have to get into something else going into my more senior years. Guess what I'm saying is to think more long term. Teaching with all its grief can be done for a long time. Fire fighting or any other physical job will have a shorter life span to it. If you do get into a more physical type job that pays more make sure you put your spending and savings habits in order to cover you when you won't be able to do it anymore.

Come to Jeff-Morgan Matt, return, return. Oh I guess hypnosis won't work. Hey you can always come here to teach with me, but you'd have to be insane to do that. Hang in there man, it'll work out in the end.

Not man people like their jobs,but I LOVE MINE!!!Be safe when you put those suckers out!Live to tie another day!

I'll bet that you meant per month.

If that's the case, it's about what I pay.... and I work for a state government.

I think that if more of those of the board check their pay stubs, they also pay amounts in this range per month...

No, it is 100 percent "per pay check" Heres the email,

Yes, that is a Qualifying event to add her to your plan. The paperwork must reach be submitted to our office within 30 days of the date her coverage ends. The cost per paycheck for family coverage is $424.80.

Debbie

Bob, Def something to think about and thanks for your input, but I'm not going to the department to ride in the truck for 25 years, I hope to advance in rank etc... May be that will save to joints a bit!

:D

Per paycheck! Wow!

Well, in the words of Monty Pyton:

"Run Away! Run Away!" 'cuz there are lots of neat places in the country to live.

Check out Baxter County Arkansas, home of the Norfork and White Rivers. If I could blow out of south Louisiana, I'd check out north Arkansas or southwest MO.

My two cents...