Fly Tying
scotth

My first dry fly

post-12516-1198633122_thumb.jpg

I tied my first dry fly. Don't think I have enough collar hackle. What do you all think?

Regards,

Scott

Very nice fly! especially for a first. You have plenty of hackle but you may want to shorten the hackle tip wings to where they equal the body length amd shorten the hackle to about 1-1.5 times the hook gape. But it is VERY nice. My first Adams was a mess.

Nice looking dry for your first. Flykid was right, when he said shorten the wings and the hackle a little. But I would defenately fish that one. :headbang:

everyone is giving great advice. one more little tid bit of info small tapered body

small at the tail and taper up to the thorax.

may flies are small look at some on the stream. take half of what you think it takes

and then cut it in half again

other than that it looks great can't wait to see more

best fishes

g

:headbang:

I agree with shorter hackle and wings, but that's the only thing I would change on it. If that's your very first dry fly then your way ahead of alot of us when we first started tying dries. That's an excellent first dry without a doubt! :headbang: B)

Steve

Thank You for all the feedback. I've only started tying six months ago and tied a bunch of Buggers, Pheasant Tails, Hare's Ear & Al's Rat. I have a hackle gauge but it was hard to find the right size feather, after a while I just picked one that was close. Does anyone pick all the feathers off the cape and sort them out into size? Thanks again for the nice comments.

Regards,

Scott

Scott:

Very nice first dry fly! I don't pluck and sort feathers by size ahead of time, because they store best left on the cape. If I'm at the bench about to tie a dozen flies of a particular size, however, I'll pull off what I'll need to tie that batch, to save time.

Keep having fun!

Bill