Fly Tying
Fred H.

Wooley Bugger

I've been tying a fly pattern for years to catch Gills and Crappie.In all intents and purposes its a wooley bugger.The main difference is I tie it on a #10 dry fly hook.This changes the lenght of the fly to match the size of the shad fry the fish are feeding on. A fellow tyer has told me that because it is not tied on a sreamer hook it is not a wooley bugger,since wooley buggers are classified as a streamer pattern.I say it is a wooley bugger tied on a different hook.To me this is a non issue , I just want to catch fish with it and don't care what you call it.But he will not let this go .It has become some what of a running joke with us every time some one asks us what were catching the fish on.Can someone tell me which one of us is right so we can end this?

Sounds to me if you had called it a 'Fred H. Bugger', your fellow tyer would

have said "You ripped off the wooly bugger, Fred" !!!

If you tie a wooly bugger on a bait hook, is it not still a wooly bugger ?

I say, use any hooks you want with any materials you feel like and if you catch fish, even better.

I think it's a common courtesy to tell another angler if asked, what patterns you were using -

all too often I hear about guys getting brushed off with 'Oh it was a wet fly'.

If what you are using is closest to a wooly bugger, then that's the right info to give.

Who has the ORIGINAL wolley bugger recipe. I've tied wooley buggers for years using a dry fly hackle, but just the other day i saw that originally the inventor used more of a soft hackle. I don't know if i am wrong or the site i was reading it from was wrong (most likely it was me, since it was on the internet so it has to be true, and it was an interview with the inventor.)

soooooo.......if you tie it on a dry fly hook........is that any different than your buddy tying it on a Tiemco hook, if the originator tied them on Mustad? what about the feathers? or the thread? is Danville ok when he used his mom's sewing thread?

I think you tell your buddy it's time to decided this once and for all..........i don't know how the rest of my suggestion goes......but your friend needs to end up wet. when that's all over, buy him lunch and forget it all every happened!

Still there must be a difinitve answer.There must be some kind of guide line for naming flies.can you simply change one or two aspects of someone elses creation and call it your own? I say no. its a wooley bugger.

Its a wolley bugger weather its tied on a size 9/0 saltwater hook or any other. Look at the adams and all its varriations or a Wulf fly, royal wulf, white wulf ect. You can tie a wolley bugger on any hook you want its still a bugger.

I think most flies tied today are tied in styles of tradditional type flies, most syntetics are tied as bucktail or other hair. Or as dubbing or as a chennile. Some like swiss straw are used like shell backs, but a gold ribbed hares ear is still a gold ribbed hairs ear weather it has a feather slip or syntetic shell back. Gold wire or red wire, ect.

The use of foam, epoxy and rubber leggs has opened up new realms in fly tying, and new patterns are being created every day. Changing one or two materials on a fly does not create a new fly, maybe a varration of an existing pattern or style of tying. .02$

G'day. You have tied a Wooly bugger. Who cares what size or style hook you have used. You have used the essential ingredients to create a Wooly bugger & if it, combined with your ability, catches fish you have achieved your goal.

Its a wooly bugger, everyone could agree that a marabou tail, chenille body, and palmer hackle wrapped around a 3 or 4 xl hook is a wooly bugger. Tail is about the same length as the body length. A size 10 4xl hook has the same length shank as a hook 4 sizes larger. So it has the same shank length as a size 2 standard hook. Tie a wooly bugger on each hook and you will have very similar flies. Same length body, and tail. Your size 10 std lenght shank would have a similar relationship to a size 18 4xl. The only difference in any of these files would be the hackle lenght. They would all be wooly buggers.