Fly Tying
ARSIC-West Tying Club

Situation Report from Herat, Afghanistan

Hey everybody. My name is Jim Klingaman located in Herat, Afghanistan. I want to say thanks to all of you out there who supported Eric Brown as he got our tying programs underway here--thanks to him and to all of you, we have the opportunity to tie, learn new skills, and help others get started. It really helps the guys here pass the time or take a short break from the mission, which for us is training the Afghan Army and Police and advising them in combat. Before Eric left country he sent us a lot of the tying materials you all had generously donated, and we have started getting down to business with them. And, since Eric posted my address we have received a large package from Fly Tyers Dungeon in Florence, MT--THANKS! Our goal here is to get Soldiers, Sailors, Airman, and Marines who are interested in tying to a point where they can progress on their own once they get back to the States. So far we have about a dozen folks interested, some who know how to tie and others who are brand new. It's so great that we have the opportunity to do an activity we love and helps us remember the great American outdoors. Thanks to all of you for helping us.

Live Hard!

Jim

What HT said, it all of us who should be thanking you. Glad to have helped out with this project, and gald to see it continues.

Fly Tyers Dungeon in Florence, MT

Jim,

The Dungeon's Mad Scientist (that's actually his title, don't know his name) told me he was sending you all a bunch. Some of us had bought his Christmas specials to send to you all; later he e-mailed and asked for your address so he could do the same.

Do you all need anything, tying materials or whatever? We'll send what you need.

Thank you all for taking care of business. We are proud of you and thankful America still has heros!!

Ray

Semper Fi,

Grunt

Alpha Co 1st Plt 2nd Squad

!st Bn 9th Marines The Walking Dead

Vietnam 1967

More than happy to have helped out......thanks for your service....I was in USN........Stay safe and a safe return home.......

Keep tying

mike :D

Thank you for everything you guys do every day. I am always glad to help out. Like Ray said let us know if you need anything cause we'll get it to you. I'd love to see pictures once you get the club off the ground!

From one Soldier to another.

Stay Safe!

Hoo Ahh to you and yours over there!

SSG MTBBRIAN

USA

CBHCO Utah

I'll be leaving for Herat. Looking for the elusive Afghan trout, among other things. Could someone in the Herat area contact me about the folks that are fly tying in the area, and more importantly, where are the fish?

My early life was wasted chasing trout in SW Wisconsin in the driftless area, lots of limestone, small streams. Haven't gone fly fishing since college, but you never are cured...

Thank you for all of your service. I hope the tying helps to keep your mind at ease like it does for me.