Fly Tying
stony

Trout Unlimited

I am a member, but have never been to a meeting, because the local chapter's meetings are at the same time as the book club I'm a member of through church.

In reading about the local chapter, it appears that they do stuff, but I cannot comment on if they really do.

I STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN MY CALENDAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:headbang: OK, I'm sold on this club....no, no, no, not the T.U. one; the other one! :hyst:

I used to be a member of TU also. I really respect the things they to as far as promoting fly fishing and their conservation efforts. All I got for my yearly dues was more requests for more money and they apparently sold or gave out my address so I am being constantly bombarded with magazine subscriptions. I am a retired disabled veteran living on a fixed income. I guess I'm lucky that the closest chapter is a two hour one way drive off the mountain because not being a active member gives me more time to fish.

I think Dale's answer really sums it up best. It's like most clubs, they end up being a reflection of those that are really prominant in the club. If you don't have some strong personalities that provide the balance those that feel left out just disapear and and feel like many have mentioned here. I bet if you guys started a new local chapter with a more open mindset you'd attract more of the same. I've been a TU member for about 20 yrs now and been just fine with the organization. A number of the places I've fished have also had direct benifits from TU national as well as the local chapters creating structure so I'm a pretty solid supporter. Yeah there are definitely some politics involved but that's part of any large organization. It seems like its a necassary evil.

I downloaded the bylaws and the other form for starting a TU chapter. I'm not sure if TU would allow another chapter in our city.

The thing with TU is that they have the money, the influence, the connections and the numbers to affect change.

They asked our local Sportsman's Warehouse for donations to the fly fishing expo. You know what they got? $500.00. At the same time, they gave 100 guns to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation banquet. It's that pompous attitude that closes doors for them.

I would love to start my own TU chapter. I just don't know the people that I need to know in order to conduct successful activities.

I'm a member of TU Canada. And have seen many of the same things. However I have also seen a lot of good. The chapter I'm a member of and other of the people I have met have been great! WHile I have noticed an almost disorganisation in letting things be known I have found I been able to keep up after letting them know in an interest to be informed. As per the fundraisers, wellll they are certainly for the richer, I have noticed but the fact is these types of fund raisers also bring in some serious funds for the organisation. I know that at least in my area and the chapter I belong to there is some serious rehab work hapening! Which makes it a lot easier to want to belong.

Mike

OK I can't leave out my Michigan Two cents.

Been there, seen the same stuff. My dad told me when I was young, that you should choose your friends wisely but be ultra picky on who your going to go fishing with. All the tu meetings I've been to have had rather good size populations of guys with expensive rods and little weenies. Ever since a Crick Runs Through It, or what ever it was called came out, these types have had a chic excuse not to catch any fish and stand around and show off their three speed graphite toys. When I was younger and more surly, :devil: ;) , I might have shown up at a tu clave up on the Muskegon River with my white Shakespeare Wonderod with an 1810 on it and a can full of crawdads in my creel. Hey it was a public park :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . This drew some icy glares, but the 20 incher I was "lucky" enough to tag in front of them ruffled a few hackles. As I was gutting it the posturingand lecturing began and they didn't seem to pleased when I offered to let them fight the next one I caught. Leaving well enough alone , I left soon after. Was this an ethical and just thing to do?? No. Was it a s_ _t of fun for a sick puppy like myself?? Yes. :hyst: Fly fishing is a great facet in the gem of fishing and having something shoved at you by a bunch of elitist tools, is enough to make a guy want to take up golf. " I can't believe I just said that". Anyways a round of Muddlers for all my friends!! This regular guy chapter will most likely be so popular you will have to limit membership :D :D .

TIGHT LEADERS

Rog

That is too funny.

I have to go to a meeting on Tuesday and plead my case with them again. I am actually begging them to let me give away over $600 in rod/reel combos.

If they say no this time, I have quite a few choice words that I have been practicing in the shower.

We have a good chapter here on the Little Red. Twice a year we do river clean-ups and we are doing a complete river assessment now to see if there are any major problem areas we need to watch out for. Every board meeting we have the membership chairperson says our membership is increasing so we must be doing something right.

Mike

As with any large club there are always very good chapters and not so good.

Some of the chapters here in Michigan (and there are many) get a lot of good stuff done. Some of the other chapters? Well, not so much. But they are good at raising money.

Wow, their tune really changed tonight. It's on and they are also letting me do a membership drive for my website.

WoooHooo!!!!!!!!!!