Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flykid

Some Pike Flies

Nice, i really like the black clousers, i caught 17 on 2 days, and it was my first pike trip, and it was 105 F. out, so the pike wern't as plentiful as they were when i used to spin fish for them, but that was many many many 2 years ago...

I will have to make some to go for Pike and Muskie!!!!!

Thous long ones have a great action in the water! :headbang: :yahoo:

I will have to make some to go for Pike and Muskie!!!!!

Thous long ones have a great action in the water! :headbang: :yahoo:

Bring a big rod. (8 wt won't cut it!)

That's no kidding. I buy everything in bulk, which is by the ounce or two ounce bag. For common marabou colors like black and white which I go through so much of, I buy it in the 16 oz bag my dealer gets them in. Expensive yes, but saves money in the long run. Saves time too not having to stop production because I ran out of something. I'll usually just bite the bullet and do one big $500-$600 order at the beginning of the year and not have to nickel-dime the rest of the year.

I get blades and rubber skirts through conventional tackle suppliers, and that's not too bad on the wallet, but Flashabou is just expensive, and hard to buy cheap. It's like gas though in that you just get used to it and it's no big deal to go in the fly shop and walk out with $50 in flashabou. I'll average one or two flies out of a hank of Flashabou.

Jeff

Dude, 50$ in flashabou??? Thats insane lol...

I could buy 50$ worth of bucktail and Sheeps Hair and thats about it..

Yeah, those big DCG inspired flies I tie take alot of material; it's just part of it. But they've got 321 50"+ on them since '06. Can't argue with that!

Big double blades work.

Hey kodiaksalmon

flash is high in cost some tips I found for it

flytyeres dugoen (sp)

after christmas sales pick up some tinsel really cheap and helloween found some nice flash from kids brooms

FC

Thanks guys! The stinger is connected with a heavy wire leader so it should hold up. I'm interested to see how the spinners look in the water. They seem like they'd do the trick! When should I start fishing pike here in Michigan?

Flykid there are pike like crazy in the Tibawasee (that ain't close to being spelled right!)and also in almost every lake near you. Just fish the deep edges of the weed lines before and after the hot sun.

Kodiac: Snobs! :hyst:

Thanks for the tip Day5! The Titabawassee runs right through town. I may have to try that. I usually overlook that river. I do fish the chippewa though (which I think is a trib) for smallies. Do you know of any lakes that are less than an hour from here?

Hey kodiaksalmon

flash is high in cost some tips I found for it

flytyeres dugoen (sp)

after christmas sales pick up some tinsel really cheap and helloween found some nice flash from kids brooms

FC

Yep, I also use "basket accents" from Michael's sometimes, but it's alot stiffer and more rigid. It's got it's own applications, but the whole premise behind the DCG is the slinky limpness of the flash being undulated by the blades up front.

I just checked out the dungeon. How are they on shipping and service? I may have to send them some business if their product measures up.

Kodiac: Snobs! :hyst:

You know it! They're out there in droves. I just got me a shipment of spinner blades, clevises, flash and wire today. If they knew about that, their heads would explode!!!

I see you're in Kalamazoo....I'm transferring back to Selfridge (CG flight mechanic) in June. Already got a boat bought and everything! Michigan muskie, here I come...

Their stuff is pretty nice but you may b wainting on it for awhile

their just updated their site saying they are trying to fix that problem

FC