Fly Tying
Ashby

Our Hummers

Turns out we are in the Pacific Flyway. The major migration rout for birds on the west coast. Needless to say, we are getting hummers in that don't really belong here, so I have been busting my butt trying to get these guys to let me take pictures of them. The hardest one to get is the Black Chinned hummer. There are only two so far, but they are very shy, and their colors mess with the metering on the camera really bad, so it takes time, and the right light to get them. Their wings make a very soft cricket sound when they fly, very cool to here.

The other is a Colliope hummer. We only have one of these. The Colliope is the smallest of North American birds, weighing less than a penny. These guys spend their summers in Canada, and northwest USA, very pretty, and very cool wisker like feathers on it's neck.

You have already seen our other hummers, but I will put a picture of all five on here so you can see them all. Hope you like them.

Ashby

Anna's Hummingbird

IPB Image

Rufous Hummingbird

IPB Image

Allen's Hummingbird

IPB Image

Calliope Hummingbird

IPB Image

Black Chinned Hummingbird

IPB Image

Awsome shots Ashby! I love the throat colour to the Black Chinned - amazing.

They are topt notch photos. What was the shutter speed for the Rofous? Freeze frame...spot on ;)

Wonderful photos, Ashby. I especially love the third one where the little hummer is flaring his tail feathers. I need to show these to my wife later (she is an avid bird watcher). Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys. My wife and I love shooting these little guys. Dave, as for the shutter speed, it was 1/3158 with an exposure time of 1/3200, and my ISO was set to 320. In the evening you can really stop their wings when you use the flash. Even at a shutter speed of 1/250 (max for flash sink) it stops them dead, pretty amazing.

Ashby

Thanks for the numbers Ashby. again, they're superb photos and beautiful birds. We don't see humming birds in the UK - fantastic creatures. I look forward to seeing more. ;)

Neat stuff!!! - we get Ruby Throated Hummers up here in Canada in the summer. You have some lovely species there by the looks of it:).

Will

Very nice Ashby..These shots inspired me to put up a feeder today..And they are already visiting..Now I wait for the right light

Thanks again guys for the comments. Will, we evidently get rubies here as well, I'm waiting to see one. My wife and I may have already seen one or two, but they look so much like Anna's except the tops of the rubies heads are green unlike the Anna's. So we could have been mistaken a ruby for a juvenile Anna's.

Andrew, glad you put up the feeders, now I can't wait to see your shots when you get them. Lighting is a big factor. Mine are in the sun, well they were until the leaves grew. Now they are in the shade a lot of the day. In the evening, the neighbors house blocks the sun from coming in under the tree, very frustraiting.

Ashby