Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tyrite

To get started on salmon Flies

Hi I am interested in Learning how to Ty Steelhead & Salmon Fly!!! Is ther a Book or video that is Really good to learn out of?????

also what material should I have to Get start tying them???

I Dont mind Paying extera for good material!! :help: :dunno:

Thanks For all the Help!!! tyrite (Glen Dayton)

There are no doubt MANY books that would help you out! The guys over at "classic fly tying"

( http://www.classicflytying.com/ ) would no doubt be able to make a more educated recommendation for a beginner than I ever could! ...Use your same log-in information. As to the second part of your question,I woulkd again defer to the experts! The third part,about being willing to pay a bit extra for quality materials,I have an answer : "This is a GOOD thing!!" :hyst:

Sulfernut

Hey Glen!!

There are many different styles of flies for Steelhead and Salmon as well as different species of salmon.

Are you fishing one of the Great lakes for chinooks/kings or are you going after Atlantic Salmon?

What method of fly fishing will you be using....nymphing? swinging streamers? eggs patterns? skating bombers? etc..

A little more info from you and I can get you going. feel free to pm me if you want.

talk to you soon,

Frank

I'll start off for Glen. What if you wanted to invest in just a basic selection of schlappen? What would be the "basic" colors needed to start off? I'm getting ready to branch out into steelhead tying for the GL system.

Mike

I agree with Maddog, good wet fly hackle is essential for salmon flies. I like to buy coloured hen necks because you get feathers for all sizes from 12 down past 2.

If you are fishing I can answer a lot of questions for you.

Squirrel tail is decent for wings. But I find the most important aspect is the hook, I notice (even more then tying trout flies) quality hooks are essential.

Anyways, give us some more info about the types of flies you want to tie.

Phil

Hey Sorry Maddog,

I didnt noticed you were asking a question aswell, I read it too fast.

It depends on where you are fishing, here I use kingfisher blue, highlander green, yellow; and also a selection of strung hackle.

Phil

In case you meen regular samon and steely flies buy some heavy wire egg hooks, some flourecent thread estaz in blue, pink, and orange to start and eggfoo yarn in white (as valing) pink, blue, and orange P.S. if you mean classic can't help you sorry

Yes!! I am sorry that My attention to details is little of so here it gos. I Would like to Expand My Fly tying to a knew level by tying classic salmon, classics SteelHead Flies.

Now I can Ty Some steamers Like the Grizzly King, Black Ghost & other Ghost!!!

What I like to Ty is Classic ones like the Gordon, Jock Scott, Butcher & others like it!!!

any books that would Help and any other help would be greatly appreciated!

I Live Near the Lake Ontario and I am on the Bay of Quinte. So I Have 4 Rivers That have Salmon and SteelHead and this is on the Bay of Quinte!! And all the one that run in to Lake Ontario.

So the Fishing is Great :headbang:

Thanks tyrite (Glan Dayton)

I must warn you. When i deceided to start tying fully dressed classics and freestyles, i always seemed to have some spare change with me. but now, i never seem to have money. :) Do as they say, go to classicflytying.com , and just ask for some help.

buy materials here- http://www.feathersmc.com/

http://ronnlucassr.com/ this is a great resource for patterns. go to Articles, Documents, Ephemera then go to book links, and then you will find some fantastic books. i personally like price tannatt's how to dress salmon flies most.

Good luck.

Luke

A word of advise from me would be to get the good book and do not............DO NOT try to tie a complete fly at first attempt. Go through each step several times until you feel confident then practice the next etc etc

For example you could spend many hours just perfecting a good underbody and the same just for a silk tag.

Just some thoughts from someone that has tied many classic salmon flies

Hope this helps

Mike.............................. B)

I'm not looking to tie classics yet. I guess what I'm needing is info on what basic schlappen colors I'll need to tie fishable steelhead flies for the GL system. Basics for now .. maybe classics later. :blink: :help:

Mike

Thanks to all! I Defiantly will go and talk to the prows @ the web sites above.

tyrite (Glen Dayton)

I think poul jorgensens Salmon Flies is a good introduction for anyone who havent yet tied salmon flies.

The techniques used in fishing flies are the ones you use for classics. I find Poul's step by steps for feather wings are great.

This is a book that has been good to me, and it doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

If you plan on fishing these flies you can google Rob Solo , I think he is from New Foundland. He has some video that shows some great fishing flies. Also check out John Shewy"s book spey flies and Dee Flies. Bob Veveka has a great book , Spey Flies(how to tie them) Paul Jorgenson has one also, Salmon Flies. As far as tying flies like my avatar. Mike radencich has 2 books and a DVD on that type. Classic Salmon Fly Materials and Tying the Classic Salmon Fly, the Dvd is tying a Jock Scott.

That should get you going B)