Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Twist

Frustrated with Herl!

Ok guys,I was trying to tie some Peacock Herl bodies and everytime,the darn thing would break,I tried using less tension,it still popped.Is there any method that is used to wrap herl without breaking it?

Thanks-Twist.

tie in 2-3 strands of herl and twist it around your ribbing, or your thread and then wrap up your body. I always cut off the first inch of the herl tip because I find it the most fragile. Likewise you may have some brittle herl. But if you wrap your herl with your thread or rib you will solve your problem of it breaking and also reinforce it so it will last longer on the fly while fishing.

Phil

twist three strands of herl together and then wrap.

shane

AH use more than one strand then,I gotcha'.
exactly

shane

Like FK, I always spin the herl in a dubbing loop. It makes a really nice, even rope. Form your loop, then wind however many starnds you want around one leg of the loop, then spin the loop. Have never had herl break like this.

If you aren't going for a perfect hackle tie on the herl i.e. a presentation Royal Wulff then, twist the herl two wraps around your thread in the bobbin, then wrap the herl on while holding the bobbin and end of the herl. The Thread overlaps the herl as it ties in. Definitely won't come apart from a fishes bite that way. Oh and it is quicker than the dubbing loop method. Works good lasts a long time.

Cheers, Futzer.

shane

If you aren't going for a perfect hackle tie on the herl i.e. a presentation Royal Wulff then, twist the herl two wraps around your thread in the bobbin, then wrap the herl on while holding the bobbin and end of the herl. The Thread overlaps the herl as it ties in. Definitely won't come apart from a fishes bite that way. Oh and it is quicker than the dubbing loop method. Works good lasts a long time.

Cheers, Futzer.

or along the lines of what futzer suggest,tie in 3 strands,twist together wrap around the hook and then wrap ure thead and then your ribbing though the fly,lasts pretty good and works for me and quicker and easier than dubbin loop.

shane

Hi Twist,

You might consider using a bobbin twirler from Wasatch tool company. I recently wrote a review on the tool and was impress with it enought to buy 24 of them (12 for me and 12 for Gretchen). The make tying herl bodies real easy. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty (not an employee of Wastatch, just a happy customer)

www.btsflyfishing.com

My best results for sub-surface herl patterns is to create a peacock dub brush with a twirler (like Al mentioned above) and small diameter Ultra Wire (in lieu of thread or waxed monocord).

I usually go with Wine or Amber for the wire color (gun metal blue is nice also)

:coffee:

This is the way I do it too. If I'm using a ribbing on the fly, sometimes I'll counter wrap the ribbing to help strengthen the herl.

The way I do it is to tie in two or more herls in and then twist them together then wrap them along to make your body I find if you put a thin rib in also which is wrapped in the opposite direction this strengthens the body hope this helps

jimmywhiplash :)

Good pointers. Also try herl from the peacock eye feather. Usually much better quality.

Tie it in from the butt end of the feather and twist or use a dubbing loop.

Another simple trick is to wet the herl with a little water/saliva before tying. Its a little bit less brittle this way. Saved me a lot of frustration :)