Fly Tying
steelie

Glow in the dark flies

I was at a Michael's craft store yesterday and they had the GITD paint pens, which were pretty expensive- $8 for 3, and several kinds of GITD fabric paint like everyone likes to use to paint poppers. I got some of the fabric paint. I tied up a few foam bodied bream flies and painted them with the stuff. I let it dry over night and then coated it with hard-as-nails. Very cool stuff. Seems durable. They also had packs of sticky-back foam on sale for $3.99 instead of the regular $7.99!!

Hey Futz.

The UV pen is a Spirit River product; I am a Spirit River dealer. http://www.spiritriverflies.com/Materials.php

thanks

Send me a link or pic of the cool UV pens, I have one of those little plastic things in my wallet, you know that has numbers on it, that shop owners like so well.

Thanks, Jeff

Mail is a wonderful (and quick) thing :rolleyes:

Quiet Steelie. I to used glow in the dark flies during my travels to New Zealand back in the early 90's and have never looked back. I stock some glow in the dark items in the store but no one ever buys any of it. The new UV Glo pens are the coolest.

UV glow pens, I want some!!!!!!! Dhise, it is a good thing for me that your shop is so far away. Oh and I agree with Fred, that a black fly on a black night works great too. I carry both. I would have to say I like the UV best in light transitional periods. vs. total darkness.

Hi Dave, I saw this one come back around, so let me say the pens are great. Even for naming stuff, like "flashlight". I will need more soon, I will call you.

Cheer, Jeff.

Hey Futz.

The UV pen is a Spirit River product; I am a Spirit River dealer. http://www.spiritriverflies.com/Materials.php

thanks

Send me a link or pic of the cool UV pens, I have one of those little plastic things in my wallet, you know that has numbers on it, that shop owners like so well.

Thanks, Jeff

Mail is a wonderful (and quick) thing :rolleyes:

Quiet Steelie. I to used glow in the dark flies during my travels to New Zealand back in the early 90's and have never looked back. I stock some glow in the dark items in the store but no one ever buys any of it. The new UV Glo pens are the coolest.

UV glow pens, I want some!!!!!!! Dhise, it is a good thing for me that your shop is so far away. Oh and I agree with Fred, that a black fly on a black night works great too. I carry both. I would have to say I like the UV best in light transitional periods. vs. total darkness.

Good Day,

Revisiting the topic several years on... More and more glow materials are coming on the market. A few of my new favorites are UNI's 3/0 Glo Thread, glows better than the yarn (still like the yarn in certyain applications). Another new favorite are the Aqua Glow Crazy Legs. They glow a gorgeous light blue color. And... GITD Dazzle Beads. (All products from Hareline.)

I have also found some super high potency GITD powder on EBAY and mized it into some Hansen's Hard as Nails. Man that stuff glows, and glows, and glows. However, it will settle to the bottom of the bottle so it will need light agitation.

Don't forget about perhaps wraping materials (translucent) over GITD materials for various cool effects. For example, I wrap a sinlge layer of opal tinsel over the UNI glow yarn (overcoat of CCG or Hard as nails to protect tinsel) and I get this almost mysterious electric purplish-blue color glowing from the fly.

And don't forget that anything that is GITD by default is UVR, so fish these flies during the day as the UVR characteristic might get their attention.

I haven't tried any yet, but I plan to get my hands on some GITD Poly-Bear fibers (Spirit River) for streamers, and who knows what else...

Steelie

good to hear from you Chris hope all is well

Good Day,

We have a show in GR on the 23rd of this month if you can make it. The Celebration of Fly Tying: Knights of Columbus Hall 5830 Clyde Park Ave Wyoming MI. Be there! ;-)

Steelie

I'm new here, but I've had good success with glow in the dark flies going for Reds in the gulf. Just throw any glow powder under your light cured acrylic (or whatever you use) and it should glow through. Works great making shrimp. I'm pretty sure there's a demo for it on the website for Tuffleye.