Fly Tying
Claudia

Flies from the vice.

Well then lets get it going again. Today I worked on a few midges. One thing these all have in common, is the use of Ice Wing fiber for the gills.

Fishing the beaches of Norcal I encounter wall-eye, and barred surf-perch, stripers, and the occasional halibut, white sea bass, and surf smelt. I went to the "fly fishing show" this past weekend in Pleasanton - talked with Enrico Puglisi about the dubbing brushes he's making out of his slinky fibre and flash material. He tied up a baitfish fly for me using his EP Anadromous Brush & let me tell you, this stuff is SLICK. Makes tying a simple, yet hopefully very effective baitfish pattern for the Salt UBER easy. Beach flies tend to get beat up really quickly, so I don't like to get too fancy, or spend too much time with them as their life-expectancy isn't all that long.

Happy Hour has started and the hors d'oeuvres are served - looking for Mr. Linesides to start cruising the Bars at the Surf!! :punk:

5487758589_7af2229084_b.jpg

5487759347_61a604b733_b.jpg

5488354672_8952149730_b.jpg

buggy eh? I had fun doing this one.

post-15490-1301615504_thumb.jpg

Nice tie horseshoes. I guess your a fan of Davie Mcphails ;)

Working on some foam ants for either indicator flies, or panfish.

SBW(Nice tie horseshoes. I guess your a fan of Davie Mcphails) yes I am , I like his style of instructual videos. cheers!!

utyer nice foams. I have only done one with foam. A Damsel fly. What do you normally catch on those?

Bluegills love foam spiders, and ants, these are big, size 8 2xl. The beetles work pretty good on summer trout. And any of them work good as a floating indicator.

So, I finally sat down for a bit today, (inspired from Nick Granato's Chubby Muffin) and tied a few, sitting opposite from some Whitlock Sculpins. Love the big streamers, these are 4", and should fish fine.

post-4571-1301795676_thumb.jpg

I've been getting amped up for Sunfish and Crappies. I've been working on some small little streamers.

I found an old article in American Angler about big trout liking mini-versions of streamers. Well, I applied it to panfishing and WOW did it work. Here's one of my "Mini-Mickey Finns"

post-32910-1302758214_thumb.jpg

I hope these F-Flies won't be to big compared to the original midges the fish are feeding on...

TMC 2488, size 22.

post-32453-1302763401_thumb.jpg