Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
indiandog08

using cone heads

would like to use them on some of my new creations but how do I keep the cone centered on the shank?

unlike beads that are secured with thread front and back,the flared end of the cone does not stay centered.

A couple possibilities, set down a layer of thread underneath the cone as a base, and whip finish it off before putting the cone in. Or use a little Loon knot sense to glue it in. Or when you are finishing the fly off, use more thread to push it from the back into the eye, so it is stable and a little extra head cement to hold it. Just try to have the fly materials end as close as possible to the back of the cone, so it looks clean, and not a huge clump of thread exposed.

Cheers, Futzer.

would like to use them on some of my new creations but how do I keep the cone centered on the shank?

unlike beads that are secured with thread front and back,the flared end of the cone does not stay centered.

I've used the method that Futzer described, building up a thread base, tying and cutting the thread off, and then sliding the conehead over the base. That works pretty well; I usually add some superglue to hold it in place.

You can also wrap some lead or lead-free wire behind the conehead, as you would with a bead head, and jam the wire up against the conehead. I usually use a minimum number of wraps for the wire as the conehead already has enough weight for my purposes, but use your discretion. I usually use three or four wraps. Start your thread at the end of the wire to hold the wire/conehead in place and you're ready to go.

With the cone on the hook before you tie on anything else; tie on two wraps of small chenile (if using a small cone) as close as you can to the opening of the cone. Apply whatever head cement you like and before it sets push the chenile into the cone (with a bodkin) and wrap down any excess . This will hold the cone in place and allow you to adjust it by hand while it is setting. Once it drys continue with the fly as normal.

Fred

I do not do any of that. I just tie in to the back of the cone and it all fits tight. If the cone is not centered after I finish the fly I normally just give it a push and a shove. But 99 times out of 100 it is all good with no extra effort. Im not saying that what the others do is not good advise but try tying in to the cone. If you tie in to the cone properly you should not see any therad when you are done.

post-2608-1230768472_thumb.jpg

I do what Day5 does, if need be I'll take an extra turn of whatever material I'm using, then put some head cement on the thread and whip finish behind the cone. then push the cone back....and never think twice afterwards.

When tying with cones or beads, I always tie a few "ready to go" hooks with the beads or cones on them. Then I begin tying. I use a base of thread near the eye big enough so that the cone pushes against it. Then I tie a ball of thread behind the cone and tie it off securely. I take a pair of tweezers and push the ball of thread tightly into the back of the cone. Use a generous amount of cement. This process is effective for me, but a bit time consuming. That's why I tie a bunch of these before I actually begin tying the patterns.

It's hard to describe without picutres...sorry.

I've had some that I didn't tie close enough to the cone, and the cone wiggles. I just figure it makes more eye catching movement, and maybe some sound......that's at least what I tell myself so I don't cry! :crying:

A half a dozen turns of .025 lead wire pushed up into the cone and a drop of super glue seems to do the trick for me. Of course, I'm one of those freaks who is always on the lookout for ways to add more weight. I once met a guy who tied his buggers with coneheads, lead wire all the way back the bend, and lead dumbbell eyes. He liked fishing buggers on floating lines in about 6 - 8' of water.

I do not do any of that. I just tie in to the back of the cone and it all fits tight. If the cone is not centered after I finish the fly I normally just give it a push and a shove. But 99 times out of 100 it is all good with no extra effort. Im not saying that what the others do is not good advise but try tying in to the cone. If you tie in to the cone properly you should not see any therad when you are done.

That's what I'm sayin'... right on.