Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher46

Fly tying kits

Getting started in flyfishing and would like to learn how to tie flies. Was wondering if any one had any recomendations on any kits or would it be better to just get the equipment seperate?

Check this thread out, a lot of stuff has been answered...

Past that I can't give you too many recommendations, as I am new to this myself. Personally I picked up a cheap Wapsi kit from a Gander Mountain, and learned to tie on that with little investment. Now I found out that I enjoy it, and can look into getting new stuff. Just my $.02

Flyfisher46,

Welcome aboard. Check out the Dyna-King Kiingfisher Kit. It comes with a great starter vise and a basic tool set from Doctor Slick, a few materials to start tying some caddis flies, a good tying book, and CD-Rom. It's about $225.00. I wish this kit was available when I started tying.

Randy

Dyna-King (Kingfisher Kit)

Flytiers.com

Flyfisher46,

Welcome aboard. Check uot the Dyna-King Kiingfisher Kit. It comes with a great starter vise and a basic tool set from Doctor Slick, a few materials to start tying some caddis flies, a good tying book, and CD-Rom. It's about $225.00. I wish this kit was available when I started tying.

Randy

Dyna-King (Kingfisher Kit)

Flytiers.com

Thank you, I will check out that site.

Flyfisher46:

Do a search to see the multitude of threads on this issue. The majority view is that kits are a waste. You are best off getting a set of quality tools and picking the materials you need for a particular set of flies. The Dyna-King kit Randy mentions is a good one for the tools but if you do the math you can still buy the individual components that you need for cheaper than the price of the kit.

Its not just that you get better equipment, but rather you get tools (and a vise) that YOU are comfortable with. This will help your overall enjoyment with tying. I started with a kit those funds were wasted as I've replaced just about everything in it.

Goto a shop and ask to handle the vice and tools and ask questions. Get what you can afford but make sure it is comfortable for you to use. That is the most important.

Just do what I do buy what ever you want and just tell the wife it was only $20 dollars :headbang:

They never believe what you really pay for the stuff anyway!

I have been looking at prices and I think I will tell my wife everything was $20 each. I know she won't believe me. but oh well I don't drink or smoke just like to fish.

I bought a kit years ago and swore I'd never do it again. So I did anyway and bought a kit for my grandson to start on and when he's done he can pass it on to his younger brother and then to his younger sister. In this case it doesn't really matter though because I have enough materials for their lifetimes. If you were serious about a kit .. the Dyna-King kit is good. But like has been said already kits aren't always the best way to invest. The go to a shop and ask is also good advice. Get the feel of a vise before you buy it. Don't take a chance on something and ending up not liking it.

Mike

So far everyone has some good advice. Mine is again. go to a local shop. ask if they have a demo vise and materials that way you can see if the vise is comfy for you. Believe it or not some actually will do this! I told a friend of mine in Texas to do just that. And lo and behold they did. Also when buying a vise. Figure out what hook size you are going to tie. if it is going to be very small like size 22 or lower. you may ask about smaller jaws to make it a bit easier to tie said flies. My vise is just your standard run of the mill cam lock. its about 5 years old. cost me about 20 bucks. I started out with a kit when I was about 8. After i burned through the materials with in that kit in a week my Father talked to My uncle about new stuff. I still use most of the tools from that first kit and I am 37 now. getting back into tying has been rather expensive but well worth the investment.

Also. Remember this line...It is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!

Also...involve the wife. you never know! My Girl cant wait to watch me tie. she honestly wants to learn.

Happy tying!

lytle

All good input so far. Now I'll throw in my .02. The best advice I received when starting out was to contact the local FFF or TU and find out when they meet to tie. About all you have to do is show up and prepare to receive instruction. Most have tools and materials for us nuggets on which to learn and most will teach, coach and motivate while you're there. You get a chance to try out some gear and make a more informed decision about what to buy and from whom.

This is my first post and I'm a total rookie at fly fishing and tying. My wife bought me a Bass Pro starter kit for Christmas and I've tied 2 rather ugly flies so far. The pro to buying a cheaper kit is not knowing if you like fly tying or not. If you do, it's a great start for a low cost and you learn some basic skills with out spending money on equipment you know little about. If you don't like tying then you are not out too much money. I can see the cost of the kits not the most effective way to go but for me it worked out.

For me, the Bass Pro kit contained a great DVD, a decent vise and tools for tying up a few flies, she bought me the bass kit. Today I bought a vise base and supplies to make a few little poppers for pan fish this spring. I can see the instant addiction factor with fly tying. Even though my first flies are not pretty, it was satisfying and very relaxing. Cutting hackle sure makes a mess though. :o

rjack .. there's good logic to not buying a more expensive set-up just in case you find you don't like tying. But .. there's always the inevitable but .. not liking tying can also be the by-product of learning with "less than satisfactory" materials. To me .. it's not worth chancing it. However .. as usual YMMV.

Mike