Fly Tying

Hey guys,

I am new to this site just happened to stumble on it. I was wondering if anybody on here ties poppers for bass or smallies. I love tying them. Never tried spun deer hair always use the foam heads. I'll post some pictures of my 8 new creations and let me know what you guys think !

Bru

Bru, welcome! I tie up a lot of Tap's Bugs, which are deer hair poppers. They're one of my two topwater go-to patterns for largemouth bass (the other being the Dahlberg Diver). Good luck with the spinning!

-- Mike

I also make a fair amount of poppers & sliders with the foam heads since much of the fly fishing I do is for bass, panfish or saltwater species. I also use cork bottle stoppers & cigar floats when I can find them. At one time I made most of them with balsa wood, but seldom do now, as it's very time consuming.

I like to make deer hair bugs too, especially Dahlberg Divers, but don't use them as much as the hard body bugs. I make a range of sizes from a #10 up to a 4/0. :)

Thank you for the welcome ! Tying poppers has been crazy for me recently I find my self running to gander mountain or ordering foam bodies off the internet like wild. As you said though tide it is very time consuming to do so though. I think I tied my first eight of the year yeterday. I will get some pictures like I said before and post the up here while I am waiting for the epoxy to set on the other heads !

Bru

I glue Darice foam sheets together and have punches from Harbor Freight. I can drill out a large number of bodies in various colors in a short time.

Crappie

Hey guys here is some of yesterdays creations that i thought up let e know what you guys think of these !!

Bru

post-20612-1237051412_thumb.jpg

Hey guys here is some of yesterdays creations that i thought up let e know what you guys think of these !!

Bru

post-20612-1237051412_thumb.jpg

Bru those look great.

Bru...Your poppers look like they'll catch some fish! Hairstacker ties excellent Taps Bugs...maybe he'll post a photo or 2? Mike??? I've started tying a popper I call the "Delta Destroyer".

If you're planning on spinning some deer hair this is place for help. A lot of very good hairy tiers!

Later...

Thom

welcome to the forum. I also tie poppers. Lately, this is really all I tie. I usually tie them in 8, 10, or size 12. I like them to be of cork but finding slotted cork bodies is becoming harder and harder to find. I have some photos of mine around this site somewhere. They do take awhile. I tend to put at least three coats of paint on mine for each color. Nice work on your first eight of the year. What kind of paint are you using?

I do most of my poppers from foam, either from the preformed heads or shaped from foam cylinders with a dremel tool. What I've been tying this year is going back to my fly tying beginnings and use goose quills stuffed with foam for the bodies. This gives me a nice pencil popper that's smaller and longer than the preformed bodies that are available, and if I cut the body down a nice panfish popper. My deer hair skills are a bit limited. The only one I do well is based on an Alaskan pattern called the Pink Polywog.

Smoke, I use nail polish and that by far seems to be the best. I use water based acrylic paints as well. They seem to just roll around on the foam head, might be the brush I was using though. The acrylics though after two coats provide some color but it is still light. I usually add a little glitter paint into the mix.

On a lighter note a made up 30 heads today ! 10 large sz 2 2x streamer hooks, 10 medium sz 4 hooks, and 10 small on sz 6 hooks. Now I just got to paint 'em up, got 8 done today. Only 22 more to go tommorow and tying looks like itll be all day at the work bench lol !

Bru

Bru,

I really enjoy tying poppers. as do most of us here. I will post a picture of one of my poppers. One of the biggest tips i can give you is to take a flat piece of wood like 3x6 and put some smaller pieces of wood on top of it to stick your flies in to dry. Look at image belowpopper_dryer.bmp

my popper

post-18259-1237160165_thumb.jpg

some bad hair stacking

post-18259-1237160180_thumb.jpg