Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j74snook

leader and tipit length

I was wondering how long people around the world make there leader and tipits. Mine I usually make it 8 to 10 ft combined.

Depends on what I'm doing. Fishing streamers or nymphs for bass I use 6-7.5ft of straight 6lb mono, streamers or nymphs for trout its 5ft of 6lb mono and 2ft of 4x fluorocarbon.

Dry flies it all depends on the fly and which rod. Typically 8.5ft total for big dries (down to size 14) and 9.5ft for small dries.

I use a method described by Kreh on how to determine leader length, but only when I'm having trouble on the water (getting a good drift, casts not falling correctly, whatever).

mostly for the stream i fish for most,I usually go with anywhere from 9' to 12' to 15'.....total length leader and tippet

shane

For Trout in Colorado, I use 7 1/2 foot tapered leaders with 18 inches of 5x and usually another 10 inches of 6x...All of this loop to looped onto a 12" section of red "Amnesia" butt section nail knotted to my fly line.

I got into the habit of attaching a red stiff butt section even before attaching the tapered leader. If I am nymphing this serves as a second indicator to detect the slightest take (or drag). If I am dry flying it, the butt really transmits energy out to my leader for a reliable turnover.

Incidently, in Colorado it is not the least bit unusual to go 6x and yes, even 7X to my terminal fly. Especially on a tailwater.

anything from a 5 footer small stream to a 18 footer for spring creeks. have fished with a 24 footer a few times..

Usually around 12 feet, I would like to go longer but I get a lot of wind knots if I do. Guess I need to practice casting more.

Small streams, 5' with 12 inch tippet 5-8x

For trout dries, anywhere from 7.5 feet to 15 feet with 12" to 36" tippet 5x to 8x

Trout nymphs 2 piece leader 2x or 3x and 4x or 5x and if a dropper is needed add 12 inches of one size larger tippet than last section of leader. Not tapered.

Streamers river, 10 feet of 2, 3, or 4 x only

Streamer lake, usually like river, but longer 12 to 16 feet.

I have been playing with furled leaders for a while, but think they get too twisted in certain conditions. If you really want I can post my recipe for standard tapered leaders, Yes I tie my own up still.

I use loops from butt section to leader and from leader to tippet.

For Pike and Tiger Muskie I add wire tippets 8 to 12 inches and about 25 pounds.

I won't go into Salt leaders.

Cheers, Futzer.

A good rule of thumb is leader the length of your rod and then add from there. I ussually start with a 5x tapered, cut back 6" and add 18" of 6x, then cut back 9" and add 24" if i am going to 7x. That's my dry fly formula. As for streamers i go with 5 to 7 ft of 3x-4x. Nymphing gets a 9 ft of 3 x to my first fly, then tied off the eye 18" to my heaviest fly and then, tied off of the eye, another 18-24" to a micro nymph with no wieght in the fly at all.

I was wondering how long people around the world make there leader and tipits. Mine I usually make it 8 to 10 ft combined.

I have been making my own knotted leaders for over thirty years. The leader is 10 to 12 feet long depending on the tippet size. My first three or four sections are made of Stren yellow mono. The remainder is made from Maxima and Fluorocarbaon. My point is usually 15" long. Normally I fish a .007 point. The yellow line acts as a strike indicator. I can see the slightest movement when nymph fishing. I can't get myself to use those "bobber" things. Rodd Gunn