Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Help to improve this fly !!

Everyone says that they look great or so on. So here is the first to come.I believe all my flies can improve. I am self taught and everything came from this site,books and a few hints here and their from members.I know flie's don't have to be pretty to catch fish and mine do, but i am looking to improve the look of them. So much talent on this site i am well below most here.So with out further do here it goes. What can be improved.

My woven nymph:

post-72-1237767629_thumb.jpg

Man, that's a terrible looking fly! :rolleyes: :hyst:

Other than clean up the stragglers around the hook eye, I see nothing wrong with it. :dunno:

If you have a hackle guard or even a piece of heavy aluminum foil, and a lighter, slip the hackle guard or foil over the eye, and a quick flick with the flame should clean up those annoying little bits of material around the hook eye. :)

Design and tying aspects look good except around the eye as noted before.

My question would be color. Every woven fly out of floss (which this appears to be) should be water tested (you sink is fine) to see what color the fly is when wet. What you have might end up a dull grey that isn't quite right for your target waters. I have tied flies in black and olive only to find that the olive disappears to black when wet. Red can turn to maroon or brown. You get the idea.

Without having the fly in hand it's hard to say but for the sake of constructive criticism.... here goes.

- the dubbing looks as though it could be wrapped a little loose. Try to pull the dubbing off with your fingers. If you can get some off then your application of dubbing could use improvement. Either add less to the thread with more wraps or use a dubbing loop depending on the look you want.

- hackle fibres at the hook eye as mentioned and you've crowded the eye.

CB

Hey TT, Nice weave, I like to use more contrasting colors in my weaves, but that is a personal preference. I like a clean head too, but that will not really affect its fishability, a hot needle to clear the eye will work. That is the only thing I think the stragglers hurt, is tying it on the tippet. I would pick the thorax out t little to be a little rougher and buggy. Again, my personal preference.

Good Midge, keep it up. Cheers, Futzer.

Thanks gang for the words. I am not using floss. It is Aunt Lydia's classic crochet thread. Comes in large rolls,and have 7 in different colors. Floss is smooth, this after tied has a buggy kind of look. Plus cheaper for the amount. Will give floss a try So clean up the head, tighten dubbing and crowd the head. Man you should have seen when i first started years ago. Crowding the head, heck i couldn't get the leader even in the eye. Made me mad at myself.

I have cut back on the wraps it takes to tie a fly. Again thanks for the inputs.

tt

Weave in a piece of crystal white flash and a light blue flash. Along with the grey it will show the ribbing very well when wet.

post-72-1237865070_thumb.jpg

I have taken everyone's advice except for the fish part. SOON though. Tried something a little different. 3 Different color crochet thread. Did the usual weave with the exception of adding a 3rd piece.After every other normal weave i weave the 3rd over and under across the top of the fly and the other weaves. What do ya'll think. A little better. Came up with this at work today.

tt

To be totally honest I really like the second one, I have one question though... what kind of dubbing is that on the head it looks really interesting.

Steve

Steve p the dubbing used on the head is from Fly Tyers Dungeon. It is a coarse @ wet dubbing.

Day5 that gives me an idea. 2tan thread woven with peacock.Will have to try it tonight.

tt