Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have the Peak Base Camp package, received it for my birthday this year from SWMBO. Prior to that I have an old Thompson Pro (look alike) that I first received in 1981 when I started tying.

I use a regal and a thompson because that is what I have. I want a peak or renzetti rotary vise but that will have to wait till i get the extra cash (no such thing, lol).

I will buy a Nor-Vise and automatic bobin. Nor-Vise with standard jaws,can I ty size 10,12,14 and maybe 16 with standard jaws or I need a Fine point jaws!!!

Now I'm using my lovely Marryat mp-vise! Have been tying for about 4 years now and u got it as a Christmas present from my parents after one year of tying flies!

I have a Griffin 3ARP that I have slightly modified with a large knob on the rear for easier rotation. I started with a no-name brand, non-rotating cheap vise. It held me over until I could find another vise. I am fairly happy with my Griffin, although it is a large vise compared to others. It holds hooks very well and I can put it just about anywhere with all of the extension shafts it has. For now, I will stay with it unless I change my mind for whatever reason.

Good: c-clamp, rotates, great hook holding power, holds a large range of hook sizes, easy to adjust and use

Bad: has to be horizontal to use rotary function for palmering etc, heavy and large compared to a Renzetti Traveler or similar

Overall, it has more good things than bad. I hope this helps someone. NOTE: I am not opposed to any other vise and do not work for Griffin.

I use a renzetti traveler for at least 12 years now, no problems whatsoever,am going to sell it to buy a renzetti 2000 od 4000 vise.

How much do you want for your Traveler?

Anyone notice the Damascus LAW vise on our favorite auction site right now? Drool, maybe I can at least save the photos, current price has one too many zeros for my wallet.

Anyone notice the Damascus LAW vise on our favorite auction site right now? Drool, maybe I can at least save the photos, current price has one too many zeros for my wallet.

Glad I got one when I did, wasn't nowhere near that much. I know a guy that got 4 of them at one time; now there's a lucky guy.