Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are those anvil vises?

I did a search behalf a friend regarding Anvil Atlas earlier this year, and it seems that the vise manufacturing is not under the Anvil brand anymore. Vises seem to be the same, just different marketing name.

That interesting. I didn't realize they were under a different name. I got my Anvil Atlas on Ebay about a year ago for just a little over $100 new and don't think there is a better value out there. This thing is built like a tank and will handle large and small hooks as advertised.

Here's the story and the the reasoning behind my becoming a dealer.

Wolff Industries, Inc. purchased the manufacturing assets of Vogel Brothers Corporation, the owners of Anvil USA in January 2013. Vogel Brothers Corporation and Anvil USA are well known manufacturers in the fly tying industries. Don & David Vogel carried on the 300 year old family tradition of cutlery manufacturing at Vogel Brothers. Don Vogel decided to focus on the barber, beauty, grooming and fly tying scissors business splitting off Anvil USA from Vogel Brothers Corporation and will run that business with his wife, Barbara.

Wolff Indiana, LLC will continue to manufacture the fly tying vises and other specialty products for our industrial customers in this Columbus, Indiana factory. We are pleased to let you know that David Vogel is working for Wolff Indiana as our Vice President of Research and Development. We have also added a second mill turn to increase production of the fly tying vises and will use this equipment as we develop new products.

Here's the story and the the reasoning behind my becoming a dealer.

Wolff Industries, Inc. purchased the manufacturing assets of Vogel Brothers Corporation, the owners of Anvil USA in January 2013. Vogel Brothers Corporation and Anvil USA are well known manufacturers in the fly tying industries. Don & David Vogel carried on the 300 year old family tradition of cutlery manufacturing at Vogel Brothers. Don Vogel decided to focus on the barber, beauty, grooming and fly tying scissors business splitting off Anvil USA from Vogel Brothers Corporation and will run that business with his wife, Barbara.

Wolff Indiana, LLC will continue to manufacture the fly tying vises and other specialty products for our industrial customers in this Columbus, Indiana factory. We are pleased to let you know that David Vogel is working for Wolff Indiana as our Vice President of Research and Development. We have also added a second mill turn to increase production of the fly tying vises and will use this equipment as we develop new products.

Will the Anvil vises still be under warranty with the name change? (not that I'm worried, I don't think I could break my Atlas if I tried) Thanks for the info.

Im currently use 4 vises.

Nor-Vise.

Morsetto Tube fly vise.

Morsetto flytec leva 516

Dyna-king ultimate indexer.

Cant say i love one vise more than the other.

All have their uses but the Nor-vise is the one i dont use so often anymore.

Dont like the small jaw conversion on that one so i have modified it to use other jaws that is way better.

If i had to pick one vise of those only it really would be the Morsetto flytec. its a good vise and it has a pretty good price to.

Thought thats just my Point of view.

One day i would love to make my own vise with the functions and designs i like to get my own ultimate fly tying vise.

But that will probably never happen since i dont have the skill and the Tools for it.

The perfect vise for me would be a mix of the Law-vise, Nor-vise,Dyna-King and Morsetto tube vise combined into one.

I just received a reply from the General Mgr of Wolffe Ind on the warranty on the Anvil branded vises and he said yes they are honoring the warranty, the only change that has occurred is the name on the box.

Ron

I just received a reply from the General Mgr of Wolffe Ind on the warranty on the Anvil branded vises and he said yes they are honoring the warranty, the only change that has occurred is the name on the box.

Ron

Thats good to hear. Thanks for your help.

i just started tying so I did not want to spend to much in case it was not for me. So far it has held the hooks fine

DSCF3387_zps95578472.jpg

DSCF3386_zps70dfb30b.jpg

DSCF3388_zps7637bf11.jpg

I've used an anvil atlas for a few years now and its pretty good. My first vise was simple Regal side lever vise which I still use for salmon flies. The atlas has only one true fault! When using heavy gauge hooks i.e Partridge czech nymph hooks, the ones that have the offset barbless point. They have a tendency to slip cause the jaws do not grip them securely. Apart from that its great and value for money for a true rotary vise!

I started like most with a cheap Thompson AA knock off when I was 13. Ended up with odd ball Thompson vise that I did the majority of my tying on in my younger years, it was a Thompson 360 Rotary Saltwater vise (So I was told?). Still have it, this vise has tied a lot of flies.. its tired, worn out, and not in peak shape anymore, but its still works as a loaner if needed.

thompson_360_rotary_vise.jpg

I then picked up a Danvise a few years back and have been really happy with that, didn't have any desire to change vises (unless a Law came my way cheap) until I got on of the Wolff Indiana Atlas vises to do a review on(http://www.azbythefly.com/articles/gear-reviews/79-wolff-industries-atlas-vise)...

I liked that vise so much I didn't give it back!

So now I'm tying on the Atlas from Wolff Indiana and I love it...

articulated_squid.jpg

I use an old vice I bought from a Herter's Catalog back in 19sixty something. I am in serious need of a new vice. I have been thinking seriously about getting a Peak Rotary Vice.

I use an old vice I bought from a Herter's Catalog back in 19sixty something. I am in serious need of a new vice. I have been thinking seriously about getting a Peak Rotary Vice.

Hi, I am new to this forum, but I have been tying for about 4 years. After tying on a basic vise for about 3 years I upgraded to the peak. I really like it, I tie lots of small chironomids that are as small as a size 20 hook. I also have tied large leeches up to about 1/0, and it handled it fine. It is a very basic vise, its not flashy but it gets the job done.

Kunni

My odyssey through vices... rrrr... vises basically has been another long story, Most recently it has been from a Regal -- many years with little to complain of-- to HMH -- no problems at all and also almost rotary -- to a fully rotary Nor Vise -- which I am still setting up the way I want. It promises to be a great help in minimizing my carpal tunnel problems and, as a system, it does many things the HMH will never do.

I am having a folding (traveling) base made for the Nor Vise right now and have ordered some extra spools and another bobbin to give me increased spool capacity and a backup for the most commonly used threads. Running out or having to rethread in the midst of a project would be very off-putting for me.

One very encouraging aspect of the Nor Vise was the great personal product support I recently got from the owner/designer Irv Norlander.

Rocco

I too have a Nor-vise. I have had mine over 20 years, and its still my main vise. If I'm not tying on the Nor-vise, I tie one the only thing I have found that is more fun (my hands.) Its not better or easier, but its a new challenge. I got my vise directly from Norm (not Irv,) at an outdoor show where he was tying. He only had the one he was using left, and I couldn't wait for him to return home to ship me one. I purchased his right then and there, of course I had to wait until the show was finished, but since I was working at our shop booth, it wasn't a problem.

While I am not really much of a tier, I have 2 budget vises, and HMH, a Regal, a Danvise, and of course the Atlas and the Apex. While not in any means a sales ploy, for my tying I have found that I do prefer the Atlas, at least for my style of tying. This topic is kinda like cars, whatever you like, makes you feel the best, and has given you the best service.