Fly Tying
letumgo

Harry Plopper Hopper (Sinking Pattern)

I should have spelled the name "Hairy Plopper".

I started playing around with the idea of coming up with a sinking hair-hackle hopper pattern. After a number of not-so-good attempts, I think this looks like a good fishing pattern. The pattern uses all absorbent materials to allow it to soak up water and sink below the surface to imitate a drowned hopper. I suppose the hair could be treated with some floatant to allow it to ride low in the surface film. Once the fly has been soaked with water, it should land on the water with a soggy "plop".

I trimmed the body below the hook, which seems to give the pattern a little better profile. The fly has a nice soft texture which may also add to its fish appeal.

Hi Ray,

What an awesome fly, great tying and material choice it's a killer pattern :thumbup:

I prefer Harry to Hairy, it's the kind of fly that deserves a name, Harry the pet fly you don't fish with it but take him fishing :P

I'll have two dozen of those.

I love it . Great job Ray. Even the photo and background could not have been better.

Fred

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm looking forward to fishing this fly. When the water warms up some more I will test it on the local smallmouth bass. It is designed more as a trout fly, but the I won't tell the smallmouth that until after the field test. :lol: ;)

Hi - Very nice sinking pattern tie .Your flies are characterized very exact and thought over selection of material .Shows many patience and job from your part. Many next patents Ray !Regards !

This site has its share of talented tyers, and Ray...you are no exception :clapping:

Your Harry Plopper Hopper would be a fantastic fly for deep drifting along an undercut on a late summer day.

It was just this weekend that I was thinking about design possibilities for a sunk hopper...something other than a Joe's Hopper. I don't think there's any point in my obsessing about it further; the margins of my creativity are embarrassingly narrow in comparison to your talent.

I tested this pattern on some smallmouth bass and am happy with how it fishes. The fly sinks very slowly to the bottom and then slowly tumbles along the bottom. The Hairy Plopper Hopper worked very nicely when fished as a dropper-fly, under a floating foam pattern. It made strikes easier to detect.

post-4573-1243263797_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1243263827_thumb.jpg

I always knew this was going to be a killer pattern. Congrats on the success Ray you must be happy!

Thanks for posting the evidence/follow up. It's nice to see the progression.

Great thread!