Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
afidbfishing

how to make or prefab hooks

I just read an article that said that upturned eyes aren't the best hooks to use for big fish.. looking for any info on making or prefabing the hooks I got to maximize hook setting and fighting capability.. <_<

thanks for the info but I was looking to take the hooks I already have and cutting the curved eye off and making my own straight eye

Ok to goet the eyes, turned down, you do whats called annealing you anneal the hook, with a propane torch, then you can reshape the hook to what ever shape of form you want, heat it till its cherry red, quench it in oil or cold water, finally you take the hook aqain and heat it till its kind of a reddish brown color and quench it again

Just my opinion, but I think you're causing yourself much undue pain and worry for nothing. It's incredibly easy to severely weaken a piece of steel as small as a hook by trying to anneal it by looking at the color--- then you would need to form it, anneal it again to relieve stress, and THEN heat treat it in a different manner to restore some temper. After all that, you will have no real confidence that everything went correctly, and you'll worry that you ruined your hooks. Except in extremely weird situations, you won't notice a strength difference in TUE, TDE, or straight eye fly hooks. If you don't like them now, try to save up money and buy some hooks you do like, but don't get rid of the TUE hooks. Sometime down the road, maybe next week or twenty years from now, you'll find a pattern you want to tie that calls for the TUE hooks.

thanks for all the help, I think Ill give them a try the way they are and if I dont like the way they fish I guess Ill just have to by new ones :jumpy: Brian Brown this question is for you>>> what flies do you ty for chinook salmon in fresh water?