Fly Tying
fly tryer

Traditional Wet Fly or Nymph swap

Ok,

I will leave it open till Sunday14th then close with the number we have at that time, hopefully we will have the full 12.

Fly tryer

Anyone interested in joining a swap for "traditional wets or nymph patterns, I will host if I can get 12 people, I have been in several swaps now and feel I should take a turn in hosting. This will be my first.

Is a soft hackle traditional wet fly?

Wellman - I guess it depends on whose definition of a traditional wet fly is being used. I did a search and found this link.

http://www.overmywaders.com/cblog/archives...an-Wet-Fly.html

As the title shows Traditional American Wet Fly. I would guess that the Brits might pshaw at what we would consider traditional :D

The flies posted to the ClassicFlyTying Forum could be considered traditional as well. If I tie a specific wet fly pattern for a few years is it then a traditional wet fly? Philosophy at it's finest I guess. One man's traditional fly is just some hair and feathers tied on a hook, in another's view.

In the end it's up to the Swap Meister to decide what's traditional.

Of course I could always use more soft hackle flies :)

I agree....more softhackles is a good thing.

Keeping with the "traditional" of sorts....I'll tye the Diawl Bach......a nickname my Welsh auntie used to call me.

It's treated as a wet, although distinctly nymph in appearance.

Valid point, I might have had too much scotch when I jumped in with a soft hackle.. I know better.

I'm in with a grizzly king

As I am a Brit, there is nothing wrong with soft hackle, spiders etc are considered traditional wets.

Fly tryer AKA True Brit.

I would like to join. Trying to keep pushing envelope with my fly tying. Will tie nymphs that work well on the rivers and creeks I fish.

Thanks!

Jim

Well it looks like we will be going with 9 of us so folks you will need to send 8 flies each to me by the end of July, if you are in the US you can send a couple of dollars to cover postage or extra flies I really dont mind. Please make sure you include toe tags, and a self addressed envelope for return. Enjoy tying, I look forward to seeing the results. Please make sure you do not put "flies" on the package as I have had some confiscated at customs. I always mark mine fishing hooks.

Steve

(fly tryer)

Sorry I missed this, fly tryer. It sounded like a good "first swap" for a tyer, and I've yet to join in on one. I'll be keeping an eye out, and join in on the next one.

Guys

I know I initially said we would close the swap on Sunday, Arkansas Mike saw it late and would like to join. I have no objections, so you now need to tie 9 and not 8 flies.

I hope you don't mind but as Mike is new to swapping I would like to give him the encouragement others have given me.

Steve

Not a problem with me, as I was away this weekend I was still under the understanding we were tying 12 :)