Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BocaGrandefly

What type of Bobbin do you use?

I just bought a "cheaper" bobbin and I am not really happy with it. It seem VERY stiff and it doesn't let line out easily.

Any suggestions?

Couple of things: If its a standard type bobbin with wire "feet" that hold the spool, try springing them open a little. If your bobbin doesn't allow the spool to play out thread smoothly, try a small pad of teflon tape between the spool and the tension pads. I use an auto bobbin from Nor-vise, and I also have several different standard bobbins. I find that most of them need a little spreading to get the desired tension. All the bobbins I use for thread, are ceramic tipped or ceramic tubed.

I haven't tried a Rite bobbin, but I will most likely get one soon. The other bobbin that I would like to try is the Ekick bobbin.

Hey, BocaGrandefly. Try doing like utyer says and bend the arms out slightly. Be careful and do it gently so as not to damage it where the arms attach to the tube. You can also either rub soap on the feet or rub them against the sides of your nose (I know it's kinda' gross, but the natural oils from your skin helps). I've always used a Tiemco ceramic tube bobbin, but have the C&F's on my next order list.

Mike

Spreading the feet will make all the difference. I have only used standard bobins line the Tiemcos. I find if I make them a little looser than needed I can squeeze a little if I need a little more tension for a lock down.

Mike, I like the new C&F but are they really worth the 45.00 for one?

Jeremy

Hi, Jeremy. A friend is going to loan me one so I can try them out before buying. After I use them a few days, I'll let you know what I think.

Mike

Hi, Jeremy. A friend is going to loan me one so I can try them out before buying. After I use them a few days, I'll let you know what I think.

Mike

Hi Jeremy, I have 20 or so C&F bobbins, and just love them. The tension stays good for a long time. They are machined right where you pinch them, for great control. I have even run over the tube with my chair wheel against concrete and it did not break. Fred turned me on to the Rite bobbin, and is it very nice, less expensive, and the tension adjustment is a very good idea. After 41 years tying though, I just could not get used to the single arm.

Cheers, Futzer.

Mike

Hi Jeremy, I have 20 or so C&F bobbins, and just love them. The tension stays good for a long time. They are machined right where you pinch them, for great control. I have even run over the tube with my chain wheel against concrete and it did not break. Fred turned me on to the Rite bobbin, and is it very nice, less expensive, and the tension adjustment is a very good idea. After 41 years tying though, I just could not get used to the single arm.

Cheers, Futzer.

Futzer, thanks for the info. Did you find some where to get a better price or is the place I saw them ripping me off? They were like 45.00. I didn't see them at my normal shop. The place I saw them sells everything.

Jeremy

Mike

Hi Jeremy, I have 20 or so C&F bobbins, and just love them. The tension stays good for a long time. They are machined right where you pinch them, for great control. I have even run over the tube with my chain wheel against concrete and it did not break. Fred turned me on to the Rite bobbin, and is it very nice, less expensive, and the tension adjustment is a very good idea. After 41 years tying though, I just could not get used to the single arm.

Cheers, Futzer.

Futzer, thanks for the info. Did you find some where to get a better price or is the place I saw them ripping me off? They were like 45.00. I didn't see them at my normal shop. The place I saw them sells everything.

Jeremy

When the first came out I was still tying commercially and got 18 on a wholesale order through my buddies shop, the rest I got retail. I have never seen them less than full retail, but maybe Ebay. They were made by 3M, but that C&F line was sold. I believe to Rio, but that is unconfirmed. If you do find a cheaper source, let us know.

Cheers, Jeff.

I have used Griffin for years and am very happy with them. There's a cheaper version I use for wires, spooled lead and tinsels. Adjustments are the same on both. Just a little light pressure on the legs and problem solved. I use a Matarelli midge bobbin for silks for soft hackles and they're a bit trickier but will adjust the same way.

Mike

I've also used Griffin bobbins for many years. I have several in different styles, all with ceramic tube inserts. (looks like a rod guide insert) I broke one several years ago, and Griffin replaced it at no cost to me. First class company that stands behind their products.

I started out with cheap bobbins, but they didn't last but a few years. Those that are not ceramic had worn grooves into the inside of the tube & would cut the thread. I still use some of them for wire, but only use the ceramic for threads. :)

Jeremy, I spent the day tying for the first time with the C&F's. After tying exclusively with a Tiemco bobbin for several years, at first it seemed a slight bit bulky in my hand and it weighs a smidgen more. However, I quickly got used to it. I was really impressed with the foam insert inside the tube which holds the thread secure so it won't slip out (though I'll have to get used to using a bobbin threader), as well as the machined grip which, surprisingly, made thread control much simpler. The bobbin is very comfortable to use, and I have to say I am sold on the slight increase in weight. Like Jeff said, the C&F's are obviously well made. To answer your question... Are they really worth $45.00?. After using them for a day, $45 still seems a bit steep. However, if they last for years and years, then I'd have to say yes. Myself...I love using them. I'll have to buy one.

Mike

If you noticed, yellow bomber, I never once said my flies looked any better when using a $45 bobbin vs.

those tied with a $20 bobbin. :lol: I wish they did, I'd find the most expensive bobbins they make

and buy a case of them. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. You are right...the tools don't make the tyer.

I'm certain the fish couldn't care less what bobbin or vise we use. Still...I need all the help and advantages

I can get.

Mike

I have a cornicopia of bobbins and I'm not really set on any of them. I have a cheapy that cuts 240 denier like butter. I have a Cabelas ceramic one - not to bad... I can deal with it. I have a Rite bobbin... I don't like the whole "single arm" thing. I have a Terra ceramic bobbin and I don't mind it, but the feet have a bad angle on them. I'm gunna go out and spend 12 bucks on a Griffin bobbin so I can finally be happy.