Fly Tying

2009 FTOTY Announcement

This has been by far the latest I have ever announced the details for the FTOTY contest but I have been working hard behind the scenes to make some major changes for this year. My hope is these changes will provide participants a more enjoyable experience and will provide me with some additional tools to make hosting it an easier task.

The first major change is the category structure. If you plan on participating please look these categories over carefully because they are completely different than previous years. These changes are based on my opinions and the opinions gathered during the feedback topic I posted a few months back. In previous years the categories were structured toward the target species of the fly and this caused many debates between participants and voters. It was very hard for me to define what flies could and could not be used on a particular species because it is really a matter of opinion and personal preference. This year the categories are arranged according to the type of fly it is regardless of what species the fly is intended for. This is remove much of the gray area that has caused issues in the past and really since this is a fly tying contest it certainly makes more sense.

The other change is the page you visit to enter your entries. This page has been completely overhauled and if used correctly by the participants will make my job a lot easier. There are boxes to enter pattern information for each fly being entered along with the category it is being submitted to. Made a mistake? No big deal, this year you can edit your entries. In addition there is a box for your personal information. You need to add your name, address and check the box if your are eligible for the Rookie of the Year category.

If anybody has any questions, please reply to this topic that way I don't have to keep answering the same questions over and over through PMs and email.

For more information on the 2009 FTOTY Contest visit: http://www.flytyingforum.com/contest

post-1-1251212814_thumb.jpg

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah..........now what in the world to tie........THANKS WILL FOR ANOTHER GREAT CONTEST..

MIKE

Good Day,

Great news Will! Thanks for the update. Frankly, I too think your changes to the structure of the competition do make sense and may help to aleviate any raucous discussions over the viability of a fly in a given category. Also, thanks again for the Dec 31st due date. I have been working in my sketchbook for months designing flies for the competition and hope to have some cool stuff to submit! Thanks again for all of your efforts with this competition, hard to believe this is all done predominantly by a single individual...

Steelie

I Really like the New look! I hope that this will eliminate the problem. Like the one we had with the nymph I entered last year.

With the popper section is it alright to have them made out of foam and all the rest of the material listed?

Thanks tyrite (Glen Dayton)

Hi Will this will be my first year entering. My only question is, for entry purposes, what is the element/s that distinguish a "nymph" from a "wet" entry?

A nymph is a pattern designed for drifting on the bottom while wets/emergers are for everything between that and the surface.

This has been by far the latest I have ever announced the details for the FTOTY contest but I have been working hard behind the scenes to make some major changes for this year. My hope is these changes will provide participants a more enjoyable experience and will provide me with some additional tools to make hosting it an easier task.

The first major change is the category structure. If you plan on participating please look these categories over carefully because they are completely different than previous years. These changes are based on my opinions and the opinions gathered during the feedback topic I posted a few months back. In previous years the categories were structured toward the target species of the fly and this caused many debates between participants and voters. It was very hard for me to define what flies could and could not be used on a particular species because it is really a matter of opinion and personal preference. This year the categories are arranged according to the type of fly it is regardless of what species the fly is intended for. This is remove much of the gray area that has caused issues in the past and really since this is a fly tying contest it certainly makes more sense.

The other change is the page you visit to enter your entries. This page has been completely overhauled and if used correctly by the participants will make my job a lot easier. There are boxes to enter pattern information for each fly being entered along with the category it is being submitted to. Made a mistake? No big deal, this year you can edit your entries. In addition there is a box for your personal information. You need to add your name, address and check the box if your are eligible for the Rookie of the Year category.

If anybody has any questions, please reply to this topic that way I don't have to keep answering the same questions over and over through PMs and email.

For more information on the 2009 FTOTY Contest visit: http://www.flytyingforum.com/contest

Mel,

There is no saltwater category. I would guess most of the saltwater patterns will end up in the Streamer over 4" long category

Will looks great! well done!!!!! now I need to get some creative thoughts together.....

Like the new arrangement! I got started already, got two done.

Question, in the popper category, can you use buck tail for the tail (It says no deer hair), or should we try to shy away from that?