Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rainbow

Vise Advice

I have narrowed my selection down to a few - any advice?

Renzetti Traveler ($175)

Peak Rotary ($150)

Griffin Mongoose ($175)

Will use it a little for travel as well as home.

Any experience with above I'd welcome the thoughts!

Thanks

I use the Mongoose, haven't had much experience with the others. Have tied on a Renzetti, but not the Traveler.

I have had no problems with the Mongoose. I use the c-clamp mount. Seems to be built like a tank. I tie mainly size 8 thru 18, and it holds the hooks very well. Have tied some size 6's with no problem.

From other comments I've seen, the others are definitley well constructed and would also be a good choice. If you get a chance to tie on all three, do so. A lot has to do with personal preference.

I am not a huge fan of the company, but the Renzetti Traveler is a great vise. I've played with the Griffin and the Peak and was not as impressed. Customer service and Renzetti is often lacking, but they do make a good vise. YMMV.

Good choices. What about HMH though? They manufacture a great vise and are one of the oldest vise makers in the United States.

I'd spend $20 dollars more and get a Dyna-King along with peace of mind. Get the Barracuda TREKKER model.

If you don't want to shell out $200, get the Squire ($175) or the Kingfisher ($135), both are superb vises and don't let the "not a true rotary" vise fool you, it's just a luxury that people rarely use.

Another awesome vise is the Regal INEX ($150... I think)

As for the peace of mind, Dyna King stands behind their products unlike some others *cough*Renzetti*cough*

It has been my experience with choosing any tool that if I can get my hands on the choices and play with each of them, that the aspects that make one better than another are easier to disinguish. It's nice to get opinions but you are the one who will be using this tool and some features that are important to others might not matter to you.And vice versa .Good luck . and I hope you find the right vise for you.

Fred

I have owned both the peak, and a traveller. I think if the extra money is not an issue, get the traveller!

Can't go wrong with the peak, but it is not a tiny little travel vise. In reality, any fly vise is a fairly portable tool except a few out there. If you want a small vise, consider an HMH Spartan, about the same $$ as a peak if you shop around. I have both, and much prefer the Peak, but vises are like Motorcycle Oil or Women. One person's idea of perfection is another person's idea of wreckage--- and neither person can prove anything!

Can't go wrong with the peak, but it is not a tiny little travel vise. In reality, any fly vise is a fairly portable tool except a few out there. If you want a small vise, consider an HMH Spartan, about the same $$ as a peak if you shop around. I have both, and much prefer the Peak, but vises are like Motorcycle Oil or Women. One person's idea of perfection is another person's idea of wreckage--- and neither person can prove anything!

Thanks

I dont mind a little extra weight, I travel heavy anyhow..and I have read that the Travellers downfalls are too light of a base and the O-rings.

Im hoping to get hands on with all of them first but that might not be possible.

appreciate everyones feedback.

I bought a Griffin Montana Mongoose online without trying it out. Let me say that it is well made, comes with many accessories that others charge extra for, and holds hooks well. It is a great vise but for reasons unknown to me, I don't like it. I can't explain it but it is not suited to my kind of tying. I have since visited many fly shops and tried out many vises. I have settled on a HMH Spartan to replace the Griffin. Hopefully, my wife will get it for Christmas. The moral of the story is to try out a vise before you purchase it. The Griffin may be the perfect vise for you, then again, maybe not.

OK I went with the Peak - was on sale for $143 + $5 shipping,

With purchase they were running a special - pick out $25 in tying supplies..so with the $40 credit I had, I checked out for about $100 for the Peak Rotary and 10 new spools of thread I needed.

Im so cheap...lol.