Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytyer47

books

Any recomendations on books and patterns for Trout?

have you seen the fly pattern gallery on this site??

the hottest new book out there is Modern Midges by Rick Takahashi threr is over 900 paterns of what trout eat the most of any way

Tying Dry Flies and Tying Nymphs, both by Randall Kaufman, are excellent resources. They are especially good for beginning tyers.

Not a specific book recommendation but more a suggestion. Before dropping tons of cash on tying books take a look at your local used book stores. I picked up 4 older but still relevant tying books just the other day for just over 10 bucks a piece. Of course I live in a good fishing area so if your in a non flyfishing area this may not work but its worth a try.

Books are good to have for a number of reasons. The web is not always available! (such as sitting on the throne needing a good read)

My favorite right now is Flies, Ties, and Techiques. It was a gift, and I love the book.

What is unique is not the 30 flies described, all are the standards you should learn, but the extras.

Each fly gets 4 full color pages. 1 and 2 are how to tie it, 3 and 4 is when, why and how to fish the fly. One nice touch is the photo of the fly in, on, or under the water depending on the pattern.

It is a little light on tying technique, so it it not a "primary" skills book.

How about this book, thousands of patterns in it. Trout, Salmon, Steelhead and more

fh.jpg

Rick

I have that one on back order, maybe you got it instead. hmmmm..

yeah,

Trout

by Ray Bergman. It presents a deep understanding of the fish (browns, rainbows, brookies, a chapter on lakers and a chapter on steelhead) mostly in streams and rivers. Keep in mind, it was revised in 1950. The fish do not know what year it is. Our flies and equipment have changed, but the fish have not. In that time, flies smaller than about 16 were very rarely used, and he does mention several times that it could be advantageous to go smaller. That is about the ONLY thing we have today that Bergman would have used to advantage. He laments the unavailability of hackle smaller than a true 14... today, you can't hardly FIND decent dry fly hackle as large as a true 12. All the $1000 rods made of Unobtanium, super-floaty-sinky-slickassnot lines, fluorowhatever leaders and chemical-laser-nuclear sharpened hooks and genetically altered hackle won't matter if you don't understand the fish and their environment--- that's the biggest point. The book may seem quaint and dated by todays artificial standards, but you could use nothing but patterns in that book for the rest of your life and catch one hell of a lot of fish.

Another great book that just came to mind is Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Pattern Encyclopedia edited by Al and Gretchen Beatty. It is full color and catalogs about 1,600 flies. By the way, Al is a member of this forum.

the hottest new book out there is Modern Midges by Rick Takahashi threr is over 900 paterns of what trout eat the most of any way

dude, NINE-HUNDRED patterns of midges? :rolleyes:

Kool-Aid line forms to the left.

Just sayin'...

How about this book, thousands of patterns in it. Trout, Salmon, Steelhead and more

fh.jpg

Rick

I just ordered this book and a couple of others mentioned above. Thank you everyone.

i started out with the "fly tying bible" and now just use 2 1600+ pattern books.

i dont want to side track this thread but how is "fly tying as an art"? is it worth buying?

Jeremy