Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

What kind of fishing do you like best?

What kind of fishing do you like best?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i don't think them big guys over there can get their entire body out of the water... their smaller cousins over here do on occasion. biggest of the year so far for me and my buddies is 63", which is decent sized for the lake sturgeon over here... though there are some bigger ones down there... just need to put in the time and you'll hook a 100+lber. man them things fight, gotta love it.

steve

I mostly warm water fish because of the fact that I live in the Southeastern US. We have some trout fishing in north Georgia but it is mostly stockies. It is still fun though. My real passion though is Salt Water fishing. I love to do all of it. I don't get to go as often as I would like because I am about 3 hours from the coast. But when I do go I always catch something and I always have a blast. I went fly fishing in saltwater for the first time this year. I caught a couple of sea trout and a couple of puppy drums and a small bonnethead shark. Had a really good time. May be going to the coast in a couple of weeks. Depends on the weather. cool.gif cool.gif

Im sure that I would enjoy bonefish on a fly alot more than a brown trout no a fly but unfortunately Im surrounded by freshwater. I have also never tried pike or bass on a fly, and I bet that would be fun. For me cold water, that is stocked with thousands of healthy large browns, is all around me so its what I tend to fish.

Sturgeon can put on a show jumping. I have had them come completely out of the water after being hooked as many as three times and although it is mostly the smaller fish that will jump I have seen fish in the 80 pound range clear the water. It is a common sight to see sturgeon of all sizes on the Sacramento river jump or breach the water on their own. Not sure why they do it since they are bottom feeders.

MSUICEMAN I've seen a 10' (which I'd call pretty big) jump completely out of the water with a 16oz lead ball attached to a leader (of course all of this being held on to a rod lol). This fish did a complete flip. Think for one moment the whole body was out of the water. Know the tail started to flip out as the head was about to touch. I know I've seen pics of ones around same size (about a 9' sturgeon) totally airborne. So think it depends on how deep of slot they're fishing (we're in 60'+ deep water). So gives them some time to build speed, also think if they're swimming with current they add even more umph when they hit the surface.

good deal, someday i gotta get out that ways and do that sturgeon fishing. on the tv i saw guys using really large dead shad strung up and lampreys of all things to catch em... is that the norm?

steve

When you're fishing oversized, it is the norm for those big/full sized baits. We don't purposely go after the oversized. If we get one it's a treat. But we're going for keepers. So we normally use oversized smelt, or smelt with sandshrimp, or herring. All whole, not cut up. Just drop it to the bottom and wait. Funniest thing of all, you DO NOT know how big your fish is until that fish starts a hard run or comes airborne. I've found that shakers to big oversized, they all hit the same. Mostly because all they do is suck the fish up into their mouth and chomp on it. So is just slight "bump, bump, bump". It's not until it's a more pronounced "bump, bump bump" that I set the hook. I know the difference after years of fishing, easier to show then to explain. Usually once you set that hook and the fish moves, then you can get an idea on size, but not always. LOL