Fly Tying
BigDaddyHub

Peacock Bass in SoFlo

Thanks for the post JJD, I'll definitel have to give it a try. I think I remember reading somewhere that the all tippet record snook was taken on a mirrolure fly in the Everglades but I could be mistaken.

javicruzito, do you spin the craft fur for the head like you would a wool head? Is the fly weighted at all?

I had not heard that, Rich. I know the speckled peacocks the State stocked years back died because they require warmer average water temps than the butterfly species. Any news from you FLA guys?

Anyone else hear of potential fish kills?

I'm late here, but just in case y'all haven't already heard:

Peacock and other exotics were effectively wiped out in the northern part of their range, which was as far upstate as the Lake Ida- Lake Osborne area in Palm Beach County. The kill extended south thru nearly all of Broward County west of Fort Lauderdale, although there was some survival in Pembroke Pines and Miramar nearer to the Miami-Dade county line.

As you go further south in western Miami-Dade the survival rate improves although it's better in some lakes and canals than in others. In places where I used to be confident of finding peacock almost always, they still appear but sporadically. The further south you go, the better the survival rate.

We'll probably need a few mild winters before we see a lot of recovery--probably longer in the northern portion of the peacock range. One effect of the chill is that my good friend Alan Zaremba, the leading peacock guide ([email protected]), has had to increase his own range from peacock fishing on the suburban canals to include largemouth bass in the Everglades. He's great at finding both, which tend to inhabit the same kind of waters and cover.

As for flies, Alan relies mostly on Clousers. It's true that a Dahlberg Diver can be effective when fish are close to the surface. A better choice (I think) is a yellow Zoo Cougar, a large streamer with a deer hair head that Kelly Galloup created for brown trout. I add a weed guard and fish it on a floating line with clear 10-foot sinktip, so it goes 'ploop' and dives. Peacocks and largemouth both go for a #4 or 6 Glades minnow fly with a shiny stripe; orange not necessary. A 7-weight rig is on the high side. A 6 is ample. I usually fish for them with 4 and 5-weights, and if I owned a 3 I would use that.

Someone mentioned that a little orange is a good thing, and it is, no matter what the fly. Also use Krystal Flash and/or Flashabou quite liberally in combinations of copper, gold, dark green and red-- lots of glitter. My favorite for peacock resembles a woolhead sculpin with a few turns of lead wire to enable a very slow sink. If you can include a small glass rattle, that's even better because peacocks are attracted to noise.

The population's inconsistency being what it is for the short term future, don't feel guilty about bringing spinning or bait casting tackle as a backup. Small Rapalas, Heddon Torpedoes and Rat-L-Traps (with and without attached spinner) are dependable plugs. Peacocks very seldom go for soft plastics, but it's good to have some if you must revert to bass.

In answer to the query about the Miami airport lakes, yes there's been some survival there and in the Tamiami Canal network that flows from it. It's not unusual to find snook in these waters too, and occasionally small tarpon.

I had not heard that, Rich. I know the speckled peacocks the State stocked years back died because they require warmer average water temps than the butterfly species. Any news from you FLA guys?

Anyone else hear of potential fish kills?

I'm late here, but just in case y'all haven't already heard:

Peacock and other exotics were effectively wiped out in the northern part of their range, which was as far upstate as the Lake Ida- Lake Osborne area in Palm Beach County. The kill extended south thru nearly all of Broward County west of Fort Lauderdale, although there was some survival in Pembroke Pines and Miramar nearer to the Miami-Dade county line.

As you go further south in western Miami-Dade the survival rate improves although it's better in some lakes and canals than in others. In places where I used to be confident of finding peacock almost always, they still appear but sporadically. The further south you go, the better the survival rate.

We'll probably need a few mild winters before we see a lot of recovery--probably longer in the northern portion of the peacock range. One effect of the chill is that my good friend Alan Zaremba, the leading peacock guide ([email protected]), has had to increase his own range from peacock fishing on the suburban canals to include largemouth bass in the Everglades. He's great at finding both, which tend to inhabit the same kind of waters and cover.

As for flies, Alan relies mostly on Clousers. It's true that a Dahlberg Diver can be effective when fish are close to the surface. A better choice (I think) is a yellow Zoo Cougar, a large streamer with a deer hair head that Kelly Galloup created for brown trout. I add a weed guard and fish it on a floating line with clear 10-foot sinktip, so it goes 'ploop' and dives. Peacocks and largemouth both go for a #4 or 6 Glades minnow fly with a shiny stripe; orange not necessary. A 7-weight rig is on the high side. A 6 is ample. I usually fish for them with 4 and 5-weights, and if I owned a 3 I would use that.

Someone mentioned that a little orange is a good thing, and it is, no matter what the fly. Also use Krystal Flash and/or Flashabou quite liberally in combinations of copper, gold, dark green and red-- lots of glitter. My favorite for peacock resembles a woolhead sculpin with a few turns of lead wire to enable a very slow sink. If you can include a small glass rattle, that's even better because peacocks are attracted to noise.

The population's inconsistency being what it is for the short term future, don't feel guilty about bringing spinning or bait casting tackle as a backup. Small Rapalas, Heddon Torpedoes and Rat-L-Traps (with and without attached spinner) are dependable plugs. Peacocks very seldom go for soft plastics, but it's good to have some if you must revert to bass.

In answer to the query about the Miami airport lakes, yes there's been some survival there and in the Tamiami Canal network that flows from it. It's not unusual to find snook in these waters too, and occasionally small tarpon.

Any idea how they made out with these record temperature drops? I haven't heard anything about fish kills up by me this year (Port Saint Lucie) I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My last trip to South Florida for peacocks was about three years ago. The fish were bedding at the time, and it was strictly sight fishing. I used a gold Rattle Rouser and found that if I repeatedly cast to the fish, it would ultimately get angry enough to quit just bumping the fly and ultimately take it. You had to 'tease' them into actually taking the fly. I only had one that would not take, but my fishing buddy nailed it with a different fly on his first cast!

With respect to recovery from the kill last year, cichlids will spawn multiple times during the year if conditions are right. In fact, they may spawn every six weeks or so. With this type of reproductive strategy, they should come back in a relatively short period of time, which will depend on food availability and their fundamental growth rates. Most cichlids are apparently rather fast growers. Thus, I would venture that within about three years, barring another freezing kill, the fishery should be pretty well recovered.

Catching them on a flyrod is about the most fun you can have with your boots still on!!!

perchjerker

Hey John! I am here in PSL too!

I went out Thursday in the Gheenoe in the IRL I saw no dead fish. I also did not catch anything. Saw a couple nice reds basking in nthe sun by the docks. None would commit to the cause though.

It's in the 40's today here in Miami so I decided to tie some flies for peacocks. I saw a real nice sized one at last but although he chased my fly he turned away at the last moment but not before making my heart race.

The freeze of a couple of years ago has still left a mark not only on peacocks but on snook. On the bright side I believe the decline in population of the snook has increased the redfish and trout population to levels that I have only read about but not seen and I have been fishing here since the late 70's.

Anyway back to peacock bass I go so if any new tips are out there I sure would love to hear about them.

Peace and tight lines.