Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cheri

Antique English Flies

More

It's pretty cool that you have these flies of your grandfather's. The second one in this post looks like a Renegade. Though, the Renegade I know is tied with dry fly hackle, so the wet fly could be called something else.

Gorgeous flies, some did not take well the passage of years, unfortunately.

I might be wrong but the second one, first serie, might be a Leadwing Coachman Dry or a Royal Coachman. The difference being the wing: one is dark (Leadwing) and the other is white (Royal).

Next to it might be a Rio Grande King, but I can't see the body very well so I can't be sure. The Rio Grande has a Fine Black Chenille body.

The last of the serie might be a Renegade.

I found theses in Randle Scott Stetzer "Flies: The Best One Thousand".

Hope this help.

The first one in the group of the first four is a Mcginty. That's definitely a Renegade in the second group. There was a Fore and Aft in the UK, but it had a different body. The yellow bodied one in the last group may be a Cow Dung? Most of these patterns don't look like they were from the UK originally.

Regards,

Mark

Well if not from the UK maybe he tied them after coming here. He left England after 14 as a ship boy, made his way from the northeast to Michigan by the time he was 20. He pasted away in 1992 at the age of 94. Like I said, regardless of what they are, they were his and he tied them. They are my treasure. Glad you all enjoyed them!

Cheri, if those were my grandfathers, I would put them in a display frame and they would be hanging where I could see them every time I sat at my vise. As you have aready said, they are priceless and should be cherished as I am sure you already know.

As soon as I found them I ran out and got a shadow box for them. LOL! they are on the wall next to my bench. Thx Steelhead!

Looks like you have some great flytying DNA. Nice! Thanks for sharing those!

Cheri, did he talk muc about where he liked to fish? I'm thinkin that if you could recall where he fished and maybe what time of year it might lead to a little insight as far as hatches go and thus give you some insight into possible patterns. This is so very cool of you to share this with us! It kind of juices my imagination thinking about the days gone by and the way the old timers approached their vices and the river, a fr cry from us today.

My grandfather born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England was a fly fisherman. Bless this man's heart, I adored him and he was thrilled that his granddaughter loved to fish as much as he did.

I have recently found (after a couple of moves in the last decade) a box of his flies, some with his tippet still there. I know for a fact they were his ties and are very old.

Can anyone point me in a direction to find out their origin, names if any? Reference books, etc. I have exhausted the internet in my search. There worth is unimportant because to me they are priceless. :wub: I can sit down with my good camera and click off some pictures and get them posted this weekend.

I am no expert on flies, either past or present, but I envy you for having flies actually tied by your grandfather. I think it's very cool!

Cheri i have to say i showed those flies to my grandfather and he started to cry.It made him think of the flies that his father tied.Ones that were sold by my cousins without his permission.I was greatly happy when you posted this and it will probably stick with my grandpa forever. I never knew my great great grandpa Charles but i have heard a lot about him.I has been said that i look almost exactly like him.I still have his original fly rod.One things for sure that he would have loved to see those flies.

thanks Marc