Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Njardar

Peak Rotary Vise

Since I have been tying less that one year I don’t have much experience with other vises. So this post is nothing more than my comments on the vise, and hopefully it will benefit other beginners researching their first good vice.

About five months ago I traded up from my “fly tying kit” vise to a Peak rotary vise. Before purchasing I did quite a bit of online research and, based on reviews and price, I purchased the Peak. The quality of the vise is excellent and it will be around for a long time.

The vise was shorter than what I was use to and after tying for a while I decided that I prefer a taller vise, so I purchased the riser extension. Again, a very well made solid piece. After a few more month of tying my skill set improved and I started going from size 12 hooks to 14, 16 and 18. With these smaller hooks the standard vise jaws were starting to get in the way by blocking too much of the hook. This was easily solved by purchasing the midge jaws which work great.

While I really like the quality of the Peak vise if I had known how much extra money I would spend to adapt it to my needs I probably would have initially spent more money and bought a taller vice with smaller jaws. However, now that I have my investment I’m not about to switch.

- Charlie

Since I have been tying less that one year I don’t have much experience with other vises. So this post is nothing more than my comments on the vise, and hopefully it will benefit other beginners researching their first good vice.

About five months ago I traded up from my “fly tying kit” vise to a Peak rotary vise. Before purchasing I did quite a bit of online research and, based on reviews and price, I purchased the Peak. The quality of the vise is excellent and it will be around for a long time.

The vise was shorter than what I was use to and after tying for a while I decided that I prefer a taller vise, so I purchased the riser extension. Again, a very well made solid piece. After a few more month of tying my skill set improved and I started going from size 12 hooks to 14, 16 and 18. With these smaller hooks the standard vise jaws were starting to get in the way by blocking too much of the hook. This was easily solved by purchasing the midge jaws which work great.

While I really like the quality of the Peak vise if I had known how much extra money I would spend to adapt it to my needs I probably would have initially spent more money and bought a taller vice with smaller jaws. However, now that I have my investment I’m not about to switch.

- Charlie

Nice review... thanks for posting. I have several friends who tie on the Peak and love it.

Tied on a Peak... solid vice at a reasonable price point. It is, however, a considerable step down in quality from a Renzetti. I nearly bought the Peak vice until I was made aware of the jaw shortfall (as mentioned in the review). Instead I choose the Renzetti Traveler. It's jaws accommodate 4/0 all the way up to 28, with no need to purchase "Midge Jaws" or "Saltwater Jaws". It's a $220 vice, which is about $70 more than the Peak. In my mind it is worth the money. On my Renzetti I tie huge pike and muskie flies and then quickly switch over to tying tricos and chronomids. The quality is unmatched... I tie hundreds of commercial flies as well as all my own flies and it's shown no signs of ware. I'm not trying to bash the Peak vice, I'm simply trying to extol the virtues of what I think is a superior vice in the same price range.

Love my Peak for what I do.

One note - if you are going to use the rotary much, get the D-Arm. For a few bucks, it is well worth the comfort and ease.

Deeky

I've tied on a Peak for the last 4 years and have also tied on many other more expensive vises. Solid stainless, brass, tool steel, and aluminum... I don't want a mirror finish on my tools to reflect light in my eyes. My Peak holds hooks as well and turns as smoothly as any vise I've used in my limited experience of 30 years tying, which is just about all the big names and some small ones. I disagree that it is a "considerable step down in quality" from anything.

I don't seem to have the least bit of trouble tying down to size 20 using the standard jaws. It doesn't take a massive amount of tension to hold a small hook, so they can be positioned fairly close to the end of the jaws.

As for the "height" of the vise, there are always options. On my last bench I built a little riser out of scrap wood, because I prefer to use the c-clamp. I could have used a lower chair... Incidentally, Peak's C-Clamp is hands-down the best out there in terms of strength and adjustment range. On my current bench I didn't really need it, but I liked it and used it anyhow. When my shoulder was torn apart last month, and now I can't lift my right arm at all, I clamped it down low so I can still (sort of) tie.

I agree that the "D-Arm" is a good addition, and really it should be standard instead of an option. A knurled or textured adjustment nut would also be nice. I took mine apart and filed opposing grooves in each side then polished them out slightly to a matte-finish, so now I have a "custom" snake-wiggly adjustment nut with visual and tactile reference. It took me all of 15 minutes.

I'm completely satisfied with my Peak with standard jaws, every thing from heavy saltwater stuff and large deer hair bugs to traditional dry flies.

- Charlie

I agree completely with your review, point by point. Been there, done that. I recently replaced my Peak Rotary with a Griffin Mongoose. I now tie on a hybrid setup, with the Peak pedestal, Peak brass extension, and Mongoose vise. I had to fiddle with the Mongoose to make the rotary action as nice as the Peak was. So... for what I have spent on the two vises, I could have easily picked up one of the Renzettis that are so popular. Live and learn!

Tied on a Peak... solid vice at a reasonable price point. It is, however, a considerable step down in quality from a Renzetti. I nearly bought the Peak vice until I was made aware of the jaw shortfall (as mentioned in the review). Instead I choose the Renzetti Traveler. It's jaws accommodate 4/0 all the way up to 28, with no need to purchase "Midge Jaws" or "Saltwater Jaws". It's a $220 vice, which is about $70 more than the Peak. In my mind it is worth the money. On my Renzetti I tie huge pike and muskie flies and then quickly switch over to tying tricos and chronomids. The quality is unmatched... I tie hundreds of commercial flies as well as all my own flies and it's shown no signs of ware. I'm not trying to bash the Peak vice, I'm simply trying to extol the virtues of what I think is a superior vice in the same price range.

PEAK - $150, solid steel, brass, and aluminum.

Renzetti - $220, aluminum, plastic, and a rubberband.

:dunno:

Don't get me wrong, I really like my vise, I just wanted to make others aware of the possible additional costs associated with a Peak when comparison shopping. Vise $143.95 + Midge jaws $37.95 + Riser $26.00 = $207.90 (not including taxes and shipping). In the end the cost of a Peak vise is comparable to a Renzetti Traveler. I can't comment on the quality of a Renzetti because I do not own one, and I have not tried one; however, it seems that Peak is priced competitively with Renzetti when the options are added, and not everyone will want or need the options I chose to purchase. :)

- Charlie

Don't get me wrong, I really like my vise, I just wanted to make others aware of the possible additional costs associated with a Peak when comparison shopping. Vise $143.95 + Midge jaws $37.95 + Riser $26.00 = $207.90 (not including taxes and shipping). In the end the cost of a Peak vise is comparable to a Renzetti Traveler. I can't comment on the quality of a Renzetti because I do not own one, and I have not tried one; however, it seems that Peak is priced competitively with Renzetti when the options are added, and not everyone will want or need the options I chose to purchase. :)

- Charlie

I understand what you are saying, but the riser and midge jaws are not "necessary". The peak has just about as much room as the renzetti, a better cam system, better overall quality. I paid the 143 for my peak, 10 for the d arm and 10 for a material clip. Jaws for the peak are 35 instead of 70 for the renzetti and the peak jaws will hold small hooks, and hold them well, just with less room to work than the midge jaws. It also has a better base than the renzetti for people using the pedestal base like me. If i had to do it again and I had even $300 to spend, I'd get the peak. Honestly. And I will tell everyone who ever asks me for advice on a vice that peak is the way to go.

I bought a peak and Im happy with it(when I adjust it correctly. lol) I bought the salt jaws but I think their geared more towards "big A" flies for fish like jacks of marlin. I am happy with what it does. I spent 200 on all my stuff and I will have this vise for a long time.

having closely compared the Peak and the Renzetti....I would certainly say the Peak is a better made vise.

While its a personal choice and both will suit most people fine...look and play with both and decide!

To me the Renzetti seemed cheaper - plastic, aluminum, and rubber (like the previous poster said)

The Renzetti may take center stage at cabelas, but that does not make it the best thing out there!

having closely compared the Peak and the Renzetti....I would certainly say the Peak is a better made vise.

While its a personal choice and both will suit most people fine...look and play with both and decide!

To me the Renzetti seemed cheaper - plastic, aluminum, and rubber (like the previous poster said)

The Renzetti may take center stage at cabelas, but that does not make it the best thing out there!

Agreed, I spent a lot of time comparing the two, testing hooks in them, etc, and in the end for the price range it came down to one option, which was the peak.