Fly Tying
LeweyS

Foam for poppers

Does anyone have any ideas for alternative materials for poppers? I saw some craft foam kits for kids crafts at a fabric store today, has anyone tried using it to make a popper before?

Does anyone have any ideas for alternative materials for poppers? I saw some craft foam kits for kids crafts at a fabric store today, has anyone tried using it to make a popper before?

Craft foam, ear plugs, old foam bobbers, ear wax (ok maybe not) - poppers can come from almost anywhere and shaped very easily which is what makes it fun. Keep experimenting and keep your eyes open.

Here is a pic of a foam popper made from a sheet of foam...

sa.jpg

Do any of these materials: craft foam, flip flops, ear plugs, & etc have issues absorbing water? If so, is there something I should coat the poppers with to waterproof them. Also, what is a good way to cut these materials efficiently and perpetually? Sorry for the number of questions I am an Amateur with a capital A.

JStockard sells some foam cutting things. Search his site for other shapes. These aren't for cutting poppers, but you could possible fashion something if you needed too. Other people have used metal pipes to cut foam, sharpen the end with a file. I've cut squares out of sheet foam, glued them together, shoved a nail into it and turned the whole thing on a Dremel and turned it down with sandpaper.....a make shift lathe.

There are two general types of foam, open cell and closed cell foam. Most of the craft foam or fly foam is closed cell and floats like a cork (or better) so no water proofing agent is needed for them. There are many ways to cut them. The brass tubing works great- dish soap helps when boring.

For dremel poppers, I use the "Foamies 3-D Shapes" that look like marshmallows:

1035-80.jpg

My local Joann sells them, and they're about perfect for a size 2 Tiemco 8089 hook. They're kind of big to start with for smaller poppers, but they work.

1035-80.jpg

My local Joann sells them, and they're about perfect for a size 2 Tiemco 8089 hook. They're kind of big to start with for smaller poppers, but they work.

Thats exactly what I was looking at using, do they absorb water?

Foam discs (cut from craft foam), glued together, and epoxy coated. Floats like a cork!

Great poppers, I would love to slay some pan-fish and bass with those buggers!!! My poppers kinda look like bobbers with eyes and weeds stuck to the back hahaha. What kind of epoxy do you use and how do you apply it?

sheet foam from the craft stores or even wallyworld is a material which has unlimited uses, especially for warmwater fly tying but trout and other stuff too. I'm almost ashamed at how much of this stuff I have.... and that's after donating a large bag of it to my son's class for artwork last year... For folded or layered bodies, use some good cement like Super-77. You want something that sets up fast and doesn't splooge out the sides when the foam is pressed together. Sometimes the weird nauseating colors you can find turn out to make really productive flies. It's cheap too, which is always a bonus.

Thats exactly what I was looking at using, do they absorb water?

Nope, they are the same material (or appear to be the same) as closed-cell sheet foam. They take markers well - particularly Prismacolor. I love the way these turn out for dremel poppers. For a size 2 TMC 8089, I aim for a cylinder 3/4" in diameter, and 3/4" long, then round the back. Still gives plenty of room for the hook point. I was taught this fly by a spectacular warmwater tier in East TN, Dean Campbell.