Fly Tying
RoaringForkFisher

Danvise Vs Griffin's Odyssey Spider?

I really don't like either one. Danvise is made of plastic and no room to work at the rear of the hook. The griffin oddessy spider has to many moving parts. Hard to to keep adjusted. Griffin vise that I would use would be first the Montana pro Vise at $89.00. If you want a true rotary vise would get the Griffin blackfoot mongoose. I have the griffin Montana Mongoose cam operated vise, very solid vise. Buy the best vise you can afford.

carlp

I was making the same decision several months back. I didn't get the Danvise because I was leary of the plastic and it just looks too bulky and awkward. I love my Griffin Odyssey. I'm not sure about the moving parts comment; I just put in a hook and screw it down tight. I've tied everything from size 2 to 22 with now problem at all. I love it for the money.

is the griffin Odyssey spider a true rotary?

Yes it is.

I really don't have any experience ofeither, but to judge from their design and the materials they are made from, I would definitely buy the griffin vise.

Both are good vises, I have friends that own each and they are both decent. I wouldnt worry at all about the Danvise being "plastic". Its actually a hi impact ABS resin which is the same materials used in many things from composite rifle stocks to Hipo after market car parts so you don't have to worry about it being weak or not lasting.

Steve

I've owned the griffin oddysey spider for close to 2 years now and couldn't be more happier.I have tyed over a 1,000 flies on it ranging from size#4 down to #32.Only problem i had was the o ring.it broke when i first got it,but griffin sent me a bag that i'm sure would last for years.Haven't had any o rings break since the first one,i overtightened it i think.Besides you can get the rings at any hardware store for close to nothing.I love it.I'm thinking of the anvel as a backup vise

shane

It has an adjustable head tilt, so yes it does have true rotary. All you have to do is level the head ;)

It has a slightly larger hook range than the Griffin (#32--#6/0 vrs. #28--#4/0) and also it comes with both C-Clamp and pedestal, while the Spider does not to the best of my knowledge. Also the Apex is made of a solid Stainless Steel construction (vrs. Delrin like the Danica vise).

IMHO it is as good as any in it's price range :) Whether it is better or worse for you personally is your decision :D

Here is a review for the Danvise and the Apex:

Anvil Apex Review

Danvise review

(Anvil Apex)

No its not a true rotary, even if you level the head its still off by the shank. Never used one but from 2nd hand knowledge, sounds like a solid vise.

Griffin

A great vise at a great price, great customer service, true rotary, strong jaws and etc.. It would be my choice of the 3 vises.

True rotary so I have heard keeps the hook shank on a perfect axis (without a wobble) and so material can be wound on with precision.

With the head leveled the Anvil Apex keeps the hook shank, while not on an axis, level (without a wobble) and is the equivalent of true rotary. Materials can be wound on with as much even precision as your Mongoose.

"true rotary" is all marketing bla bla bla. I tie on an HMH and use the rotary on almost every fly. I tie close to 5000 flies a year. I tie on 2/0 hooks most of the time. Trust me its hype. But the true rotary vises do have one thing over in line rotaries......lack of space behind the hook....

FYI HMH spartan was the first rotary vise.....