Fly Tying
smallieFanatic

"Amazing Facts Thread"

Okay guys (and gals) this is the "Amazing Facts Thread." Is how it works is:

Someone posts an amazing fact, and below that they write a subject that the next person has to base his fact on. Example:

The largest fish in the World is the Whale Shark. (not so amazing but it is just a example).

Next subject: Buildings

Okay so the next person comes along and looks up a cool fact about buildings and posts it along with a new subject.

I think it will be fun (and informative), if everyone pitches in :)

The only catch is that they have to be Facts ;)

I'll kick this off.

On average, sharks kill 10 humans every year. Approximately 100 people die each year when they are stepped on by cows.

Next subject: Trains (:rolleyes:)

Everybody knows the railroads in the game Monopoly are the Pennsylvania, B&O, Reading, and Short Line. But how many people realize that three of the four were real railroads?

The Pennsylvania Railroad, The B&O "Baltimore and Ohio Railroad" and the Reading Railroad were actually railroads in the US. The Short Line isn't named for a real-life railroad.

Also, on this date in 1830, the first regular steam train passenger service starts.

Next topic: Famous writer

Awesome guys! Thanks for posting :)

Famous Writer:

The famous writer Edger Allan Poe was addicted to Opium and was an alcoholic. It is speculated that this influenced his often morbid writings to some extent.

Barber shops:

That barbershop smell is a mixture of Barbicide, shaving cream, musky smelling hair, and cheap (and free) coffee.

Hope that last one is interesting enough.

Next Subject: Criminology

Criminology:

In 1950 in England, Tim Evans, who was mentally challenged, was executed for the murder of his wife and small child. It was later proven that his neighbor had committed the murders and that Evans was innocent. The subsequent outcry led to the abolishment of capital punishment in England.

Ewan Macoll later wrote a great song about it - Go Down Ye Murderers (The Ballad of Tim Evans).

Next Subject: Cars

Subject: Cars

"The first car manufacturers in the world were French: Panhard & Levassor (1889) and Peugeot (1891)."..................we in the US like to think of Mr. Ford, who was also handy at understanding and making mass assembly work efficiently. Mr. Ford was also a Freemason.

Next subject.

Galapagos Islands

camoham

Subject: Cars

"The first car manufacturers in the world were French: Panhard & Levassor (1889) and Peugeot (1891)."..................we in the US like to think of Mr. Ford, who was also handy at understanding and making mass assembly work efficiently. Mr. Ford was also a Freemason.

Next subject.

Galapagos Islands

camoham

I would have gone with Carl Benz and his Patent Motor Car (1886)

Galapagos Islands:

In order to be able to feed underwater the Galapagos marine iguana is equipped with a pair of salt glands. These glands are located on both sides of the head, under the skin between the nostril and the eye. While eating the iguana will eject a fine spray of highly saline secretion from these glands, to rid itself of the salt.

Next Subject: BC History

Galapagos Islands:

In order to be able to feed underwater the Galapagos marine iguana is equipped with a pair of salt glands. These glands are located on both sides of the head, under the skin between the nostril and the eye. While eating the iguana will eject a fine spray of highly saline secretion from these glands, to rid itself of the salt.

Next Subject: BC History

British Columbia History... I saw Bigfoot in BC. Either that or it was a girl I went out with there, cant' quite remember. Anyhow, it's a fact.

Next Subject: Motorcycle Oil.

(BTW ALL iguanas, including common greenies, have those salt glands. Makes a mess on the glass front cages.)

JSzymczyk,

What does you dating big hairy women have to do with BC History? :hyst: :j_k:

It happened in BC!! :wallbash:

You are killing me! :hyst: can't breathe :hyst:

Motorcycle Oils:

My old 1982 Suzuki took 2 cycle oil as did all bikes that were made back then.

next topic: Classic Salmon flies