Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Big J

Spin vs. fly tackle

Now I just got into fly fishing a little over year ago and I also bass fish on spin gear alot. Now the more I've gotten into fly fishing and this fly tying forum I see a little tension between fly fisherman and "Bait Fisherman." Could anyone explain to me why this is? haha

Oh :D haha I hate those type too! haha I went to a public school.....I can't help it!

fly fisherman (not all of them) think its the only way to fish and most likely forgot that they started as a bait/spin fisher many many years ago.

it shouldnt matter to anybody else how you fish. its none of their business.

flyfishing vs spinfishing: an age old debate

http://www.examiner.com/x-19310-Boise-Fish...-age-old-debate

I still enjoy spin fishing. You just have to be careful when using live bait; if you become to proficient with it, your friends will refer to you as the Masterbaiter.

I know, pretty corny.

Kirk

I still fish both. When I can't fish with a fly rod and fly I fish spin tackle but every chance I get to fish with a fly I always fly fish.

I still fish both. When I can't fish with a fly rod and fly I fish spin tackle but every chance I get to fish with a fly I always fly fish.

If you can't fish with a fly rod...its time to go home and call it a day. Sometimes the fish win! The stereo type out West and there is much truth to it.... a Bait or gear chucker is much more reckless with the resource. Let's face it when it come to Trout, a treble hook lure does not provide low mortality fishing. Bait is ingested deep and removing and releasing fish is also a iffy propositon. (I can't and won't speak to other species of fish.)

And since I mentioned "releasing" let me also say that if your not releasing your catch, don't expect it to be there for the next generation. Now there are exceptions to this for example, invasive or non-native species can and often should be pulled from the river to allow the indiginous species an opportunity to thrive. Yeah, I know, Browns aren't native, Rainbows aren't native (sometimes)...I get it. IMHO, if your backpacking an outback creek or lake, keeping one fish for dinner is no detriment to the resource. Where I object (although who listens) is when I see a gear chucker whipping spoons with treble hooks to trout and upon reeling in, promptly run a stringer thru its gills and stake it out. Listen, go down to the corner to that big supermarket go to the back in the seafood section and catch and keep all you like...these trout are farm raised. Have fun but leave the fish in the river where they belong.

In summary, bait and gear fisherman keep too many of their fish and if they are not, the very nature of their methods cause higher mortality to the resource. This is why fly fishing is superior to other methods.

I can also make the case that catching a fish on a fly is akin to besting millions of years of evolution of the species...on its own primordial level. No technology or science (Power Bait, Jiggly worms with new built in scent!, shiny machined Chrome spoons, etc) but getting down and thinking and stalking and hunting your quarry. It is said, first you bait fish, then you chuck gear, but when you really evolve, you fly fish. Kinda like hunting.....rifles, muzzle loading, hand guns then when you've got that licked, bow and arrow!

-Seaching Solitude!!

If you can't fish with a fly rod...its time to go home and call it a day. Sometimes the fish win! The stereo type out West and there is much truth to it.... a Bait or gear chucker is much more reckless with the resource. Let's face it when it come to Trout, a treble hook lure does not provide low mortality fishing. Bait is ingested deep and removing and releasing fish is also a iffy propositon. (I can't and won't speak to other species of fish.)

And since I mentioned "releasing" let me also say that if your not releasing your catch, don't expect it to be there for the next generation. Now there are exceptions to this for example, invasive or non-native species can and often should be pulled from the river to allow the indiginous species an opportunity to thrive. Yeah, I know, Browns aren't native, Rainbows aren't native (sometimes)...I get it. IMHO, if your backpacking an outback creek or lake, keeping one fish for dinner is no detriment to the resource. Where I object (although who listens) is when I see a gear chucker whipping spoons with treble hooks to trout and upon reeling in, promptly run a stringer thru its gills and stake it out. Listen, go down to the corner to that big supermarket go to the back in the seafood section and catch and keep all you like...these trout are farm raised. Have fun but leave the fish in the river where they belong.

In summary, bait and gear fisherman keep too many of their fish and if they are not, the very nature of their methods cause higher mortality to the resource. This is why fly fishing is superior to other methods.

I can also make the case that catching a fish on a fly is akin to besting millions of years of evolution of the species...on its own primordial level. No technology or science (Power Bait, Jiggly worms with new built in scent!, shiny machined Chrome spoons, etc) but getting down and thinking and stalking and hunting your quarry. It is said, first you bait fish, then you chuck gear, but when you really evolve, you fly fish. Kinda like hunting.....rifles, muzzle loading, hand guns then when you've got that licked, bow and arrow!

-Seaching Solitude!!

I should of seen that coming at the last paragraph..... Why do you have to put millions of years and evolve into a topic like fly fishing vs other method of fishing? Why add your theories into these topics? Can't we just talk about the equipment and leave evolution of species out of everything else? Don't mean to start a conflict here, but when I read the word evolution and see everyone trying to say evolution and the world being millions of years old is a truth when in fact it cannot and has not been proven yet bugs me. We already got everyone shoveling it down our throats in our school systems and in our government, but even on fly fishing forums in topics about spin vs fly tackle. :wallbash: I'll get off my soap box now <_<

My daughters started off baitfishing with a spinning rod for panfish. They both started with the fly rod this year and prefer fishing with the fly rod. My oldest put it best' "I feel connected to the fish." I hope they continue fishing and continue the love the outdoors. I do find fly fishing a bit gentler to the fish, but to each there own. I have fished with fly rods and spinning rods and don't have a problem doing either, but I strongly prefer fly fishing.

Hey Big J, if you don't like reading other peoples opinions on a subject, stop askin for them. Searching Solitude just simply answered your question from his point of view, nothing more.

For some it could just be pure Snobbery. Or the sense that one is in some way smarter than the others. In a higher class. I spin fish heck it is not out of the question for me to use both at the same time from the boat. Cast the fly let it sink Pick up the spin rod let it sink. Retrieve the fly recast/land fish retrieve the spin rod etc.... But then again Im comfortable with my self and could give 2 craps what the higher class thinks. I fish to make my self happy not to be in a club.

It depends what your fishing for.For the flyflicker's who only fish for wild trout and practice catch and release,some seem to take offence to the bait chucker's simply because of the higher fish mortality from fish eating baited hooks.Also some think that bait fishermen are out to kill fish for eating.Which really seem's to get some's goat.Personally I find nothing wrong with taking some fish for eating,regardless weather they are wild,stocked or caught with bait or flys.There are some who think they are above everyone else if they don't adhere to their belief's that trout are only meant to be taken with a fly and returned to the water.Fishing is fun regardless what you fish with.So have fun and fish with whatever tackle you want.Did I mention trout are delicious cured and hichory smoked.Cheers.

I should of seen that coming at the last paragraph..... Why do you have to put millions of years and evolve into a topic like fly fishing vs other method of fishing? Why add your theories into these topics? Can't we just talk about the equipment and leave evolution of species out of everything else? Don't mean to start a conflict here, but when I read the word evolution and see everyone trying to say evolution and the world being millions of years old is a truth when in fact it cannot and has not been proven yet bugs me. We already got everyone shoveling it down our throats in our school systems and in our government, but even on fly fishing forums in topics about spin vs fly tackle. :wallbash: I'll get off my soap box now <_<

Stop while you're ahead.